• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Overclocking my P4?

Started by Sockz, October 09, 2003, 03:09 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Sockz

Hey guys, first time poster and the first time i've looked into overclocking.

I have recently purchased a P4 2.8 GHZ, 800mhz FSB. I have 256mb of DDR ram at 400mhz FSB.

I understand that I can change my settings in bios to increase the FSB. Is this a feasable option to gain some more performance?

I know that the 800mhz FSB processors are fairly new.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

dave

query

Yes - it's not worth it.

It's almost impossible to tell the difference between a 2.8 and a 3.2 GHz CPU - anything you would gain by pushing a 2.8 upward would be unnoticeable.

southernman

And if you screw up you have a very expensive paperweight

DriV3n86

I personally would NOT reccomend overclocking, The difference you would see will be a Small difference performance wise. (maybe not even noticeable). I would never over clock to such a small difference, and run such a BIG risk.

If would would like more PERFORMANCE I would invest some money into another stick of 256 RAM.
2 sticks of 256 RAM will help you out ALOT performance wise.

Chandler

Processor speed makes very little difference to how Windows XP performs anyway.  The amount of memory on the other hand makes a huge difference.

256MB of RAM is OK, but Windows XP feels sluggish to me with this amount.  Going up to 384MB or preferably 512MB should make it much faster.

railmuff

OC the beast as long as you know what your doing or have someone to do it for you or help you through it.
I have an amd 2500+ barton 1.83ghz@2.41ghz fsb200 multiplier12.  this is all on air cooling and my computers temp never goes over 120 and im completely stable.  I would reccomend any1 interested in overclocking to give it a try.  But please be careful and increase your speeds only a little at a time. Once youve upped your speeds a little load windows and check for stability. Also download a program such as hmonitor to keep check on your computers temps.  There are many sites out there with dedicated overclockers that will be willing to help you out as you experiment. But just be sure to be cautios as we dont want any of those expensive paperweights