• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Find music you'll love"

Started by saoirse, February 11, 2006, 05:10 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

saoirse

I can't believe I've never stumbled across Pandora before.  For those who know nothing about it, it stems from the Music Genome Project as a tool for discovering other artists and music based on your input.  I've already found a number of artists who I've never heard of before and I'm really liking their music.

Music is streamed, so you'll need a broadband connection.  The quality is great and the layout of Pandora is simple, definitive and operationally sound.  There is free registration.

http://www.pandora.com

Whizbang

I agree!  This is a really great site.  I am now immersed in the "arms" of Anne Murray.  JA and I will go nuts.  Thanks for passing this on.

scuzzy

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

That has got to be the most technically sophisticated site I have seen.  The really great thing is that you can listen to the same songs that you could only copy illegally without it.  Unfortunately, the Lettermen are not on the list yet.  I am actually hearing Andy Williams singing The Hawaiian Wedding Song. :'(

Ray Charles, Brenda Lee, Andy Williams, The Platters---->Pure Heaven.   8)

Bill

Outstanding!!!  Mississippi John Hurt in the background.  

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I bet Mississippi still hurts.  

Not having Broadband, except in my sweat pants, I guess I'll have to pass.  Probably mostly Irish music, which is ok since I like that.  Declan McManus, U2.  Sinead.  Chieftains, whoever else.

Lord of the Dance, I guess.  I bet that site didn't have anything good by Cradle of Filth, or Paula Abdul or Milli Vanilli anyway.  The classics.  I like progressive music, because it progresses.

The name sort of bothers me, too.  A little too much like "panda" for my liking...

Ace; I found music I love!  Downstairs.
Ring bells for service.

pat

That?s an interesting site; it did lead me to some oldies I hadn?t heard in a long time.

I don?t seem to be able to go back and listen to a song I had passed by though. Perhaps you only get one chance and once gone by you can take advantage of the link to buy the song(s) (download from itunes) or CD (from Amazon). I did try to fool the site by clearing my cookies and going back thinking they might take me as a new user, but no. They must record your unique IP address and track your usage that way.

I do tend to be a little bit cynical at times, but I?m sure the site is all about finding music you love, not just another commercial site trying a new method of selling.

Oh and for you Anne Murray buffs, I did get to see her live just this past Christmas season. I took my mother to a concert. It was ok by me and my mom just loved it.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Quote from: pat on February 12, 2006, 16:14 hrs
That?s an interesting site; it did lead me to some oldies I hadn?t heard in a long time.

I don?t seem to be able to go back and listen to a song I had passed by though.
From what I read on "The rules,"  you are not alllowed to pick your song, only the style that song has.  The music industry requires that to keep people from using Pandora as an efficient download tool.  I tend to put the music industry and Microsoft in the same bucket in that regard.  The more that you try to protect yourself from piracy, the more you turn off the general public.  Ironically, the best way to get a certain entertainer is to avoid mentioning that singer in your requests and just pick the style.  There is also some tweaking that needs to be done to the selection system.  I picked a Brenda Lee setup and ended up getting gospel after a few tweaks, so I had to delete the whole album selection.  I tried again and got in the groove.  One thing good I found in selecting another style in group music was that The Platters began to appear at regular intervals, so I tried to avoid mentioning them and was rewarded by getting more.