• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

WHERE'S MY AMERICAN GOOGLE??

Started by Ace, October 03, 2007, 17:17 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Look, I figure this is probably a UK conspiracy plot, anyway.  But I've noticed the ONLY Google link I can establish is the UK version.  Even if I hit the link, or cut and paste
http://www.google.com/

it takes me to
http://www.google.co.uk/
??

I mean, what's up with that...  Much as I'd like to search "programmes" how in the world do I NOT have it do the UK thing and stick with the standard?  I've turned off Auto Complete, and have even set in that as a home page, and it still always reverts to the UK version. 

Ace; I hope it didn't hear me doing that British accent...
Ring bells for service.

pat

I've heard about strange things happening down in the vortex they call lower Michiana.

I wonder, where does that super-dooper extra boost of internet originate? Perhaps that is the problem.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Huh.  Pretty dang astute, especially for a Michigander.

Maybe I'll try it with OnSpeed Off.  If it works, I owe you a Margarita.

Ace; if it doesn't Buff owes me a Merlot.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Ok, sounds good. If it works then you get me the margarita if it doesn't work after going through all that work then I'll let you get me the margarita.

Either way we both win.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Oh, sure, let Buff get away with it then.

You know, after turning OffOnSpeed and trying to forcefeed the nonUK version (including the Logitech keyboard hot button I use for it) it now doesn't show as UK anymore.  So, I guess I was right and you do owe me a margarita.

Ace; although it still says "programmes" so maybe the French are up to something after all.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

QuoteAce; if it doesn't Buff owes me a Merlot.

OK, sure.  I'd have agreed to that.  Not sure how any of it is my fault though.

Congratulations on having the correct version of Google....oh, wait.....you've messed it up again.

Buff; you're welcome.

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pat

Sorry for the delay getting back to you Ace, I�ve been out of town, Minneapolis and back. I do thank you kindly for your gracious offer of the margarita and will be glad to take position of it at your earliest convenience.

While I was there (in Minneapolis) I went to see what was left of the bridge collapse (collapsed bridge?). Well, not much, they have it pretty well picked up, just a few tangled pieces of steel lying around.

Also went to the zoo, they have a nice zoo there. You know tigers and that sort of stuff. They even had a couple of those Red Pandas. Funny thing about the tiger exhibit, they have a concrete moose lying on its side sort of like a dead moose ready to be eaten and they feed the tigers through a hole placed where the stomach of the moose should be. I suppose the tigers don�t really care as long as they get feed and it�s a step up from a plain old bowl. I thought it was sort of creepy though.

Ace

I'm guessing your position would be sitting in a booth, left arm straight, right elbow bent, hand around the glass.

The tigers are probably thinking "man... leftover moose, again.  This is worse than Thanksgiving..."

Sounds like the moose gets full when the tigers do, too.  I saw the photo of the mockup of the new bridge they're going to build.  I've never been west of Chicago, or more north than Grand Rapids, so I've never been.  When I worked in customer service I had a huge hospital conglomeration customer in Minneapolis, which I'd just as soon not remember. 

Google UK stilll pounces, unless I've killed OnSpeed.  So I'm dealing with the ramifications of that, you dang British ramificators.

Ace; my convenience never comes early.
Ring bells for service.

saoirse

Next time that happens, try:

http://www.google.com/ncr

This will force it to google.com and bypass country redirection.

Ace

Hey, thanks Saoirse - got it, tried it, worked.  Appreciate that!

Only thing that was a bother was in searching hotel rooms and stuff like that... didn't really want to have to stay over in the UK especially.  Not that it wouldn't be nice, but with the price of gas and all...

Ace; at least it didn't steer me toward China...
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Hey, gas prices aren't too bad over here - it's PETROL or diesel that's expensive.

Buff; and pretty much everything else.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Oh, don't try to confuse the issue like you did with that whole pounds are twice as much as dollars, give or take half.  We've got BP gas here and I know that's made over there.

I shall now refer to the tubes in my Blues Jr. amp as "valves."  And stand in the queue to use the loo.

Ace; there's nothing like a good British Merlot.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Sounds to me that you guys are already confused.

Gas, as you apply it, is plainly not a gas but a liquid......eh?  Gasoline though.........

Buff; speaking of gasoline...British Merlot is about the same.

Ace

Do you make Pinot Petrol Grigio there, too?  At least you can do beer ok. 

I suppose we could call it "Oline".  America Oline.  Boy, that would probably clog up the Registry in your car.  You know, Man is the only animal that blushes but wales blubber.

Ace; "Good night, Oline, Oline.. Good night, Oline..."
Ring bells for service.