• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

DivX Very Impressive But Also Very Bandwidth Hungry

Started by Whizbang, August 17, 2007, 19:20 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I tried the new DivX HD video format from a link on YouTube.  The quality is near perfection with the finest details of fleshtones revealed, but unless you are on Comcast, you can do the dishes before it loads.  Even then, the complete video will not load and will re-buffer about half way through.  Just now I realized that I should have done an Alt-Print Screen and pasted into PaintShop Pro for reduction and display here.  I doubt that the quality would have come across, but I may try it later just to see how it does.

I likely will not do much viewing from Stage 6 because of the long delay.  I am really spoiled because on dialup I had to wait for up to 30 minutes just for AVG updates to finish.  Those same size updates now are finished within 15 seconds.  I long for the day when everything comes over a buried power line. and cable speed is about 100,000kbps.   8)

(Edit):  I found a link for downloading a Jake Shimabukuro video and took the bait.  The video is a 310meg monster!  You could easily use up a complete 50-pancake rack of CDs with only one video per disc.  I guess any serious stuff will require wating a few years for the $50.00 blu-ray recorders.

Whizbang

OK, I downloaded this puppy and it is really lavish as long as you choose the prompt to download and install the DivX player too.  I tried using Windows Media Player, but the video, although perfectly clear, is chopped.  Audio is perfect.  I suspect that Microsoft will come up with a fix so they can also garner DivX aficionados.  I also used the built-in burn program on the DivX console to burn this video to a CD, but the result was the same jerky video that I got from the file on the hard drive played with Media Player.  Since the only promotion for burning is in reference to a DVD, I hardly can complain.  The Alt-Prt Scr option does not pick up the video, only the console.  I tried the Fuji, but the movement is too fast to get the focus good enough to show the clarity.  I also tried compressing the file with IZArc, but videos compress very little, not surprisingly.  It is going to be fun to play with, but if anyone is really serious about making or collecting High Def videos, he should really have a separate hard drive strictly for videos, a very BIG hard drive.