• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ntldr

Started by wavz, January 22, 2003, 14:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

wavz

My buddy had his computer crash and i figured out that his power supply went bad.Now when i finally changed out the bad power supply and got the computer up and running,it says ntldr missing.How do i get this one file back on his computer????Is there a way to copy it from a working computer,or get it from the CD for win XP.I tried the repair this version of XP but it took me to a DOS prompt.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                       Thanks
                                                                         Wavz

John

Wavz, try this if you have the Windows XP CD. Boot with your XP cd to the repair console. Type in FIXBOOT(enter), then FIXMBR (enter). I hope this helps.

Cogito Ergo Sum

query

At the command prompt, try fixboot c: - ideally, you should have a repair floppy with the ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com on it - but you can use the generic ones from the XP CD to get the disc up and running.

If you can get the disc running, do a full scandisk on it - if not, it may be that the power problem caused damage to the hard drive, either to the filesystem, or physical damage - it's a good idea to scan the drive with a utility from the drive maker to ensure everything is OK.

wavz

Thanks John & Query for the fast responce.I've never done the whole command prompt before so I might be back to ask some questions.But thanks for the suggestions I will try them out.
                                                                   Wavz