• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Powerbook Problem (SOM library missing)

Started by Blue Glass, April 09, 2003, 16:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Glass

I have an old Macintosh PowerBook 3400c that I'm trying to upgrade, and have come across a number of problems. When I start the computer up, it goes through the usual process and then gives the following error message:

"The finder could not start up because the following system library could not be found: SOM" (System Object Model I guess). It then asks me to boot from the original disks which I don't have and I cant get into the operating system (8.1) as the only option is to restart.

Any ideas?  

Thanks

query

Longshot:  hold down the SHIFT key while restarting.  That will turn off all extensions.

Otherwise, you need a bootable CD or floppy with an OS (system folder) on it.  You can try running the Apple Disk Repair utility from there.  Alternatively, a CD with Norton Utilities or System Works will be bootable and allow the same thing.

Even if you manage to fix the disk, you're likely to be faced with an OS reinstallation, so you will need the operating system CD  for your Mac.  I believe Apple has ceased selling OS9 for Mac -- you can't run OS X on these older PowerPC notebooks -- but you might be able to find a copy on EBay or elsewhere.

Blue Glass

Thanks for the help. I found the original disks and it seems to be working fine now.