• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by QQQ, June 10, 2001, 21:13 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

QQQ

When I saw your topic, I thought you were just going to say FDISK.  Afterall, that is an effective way of removing all of the bloatware that gets onto one's system.

Anywho, I have the Pro version of 98lite, but I could never get it to install correctly. I'll try it again in the future but for now, I'm running without it.

Before removing IE, though, beware that some apps require it to be on the sys, even if you don't use it.

Neon

If you aren't so thrilled with the "webification" of Windows98 and/or would like the choice to remove Internet Explorer, look at Shane Brooks' excellent utility 98lite.

Quoting from his website:

quote:
98lite is a selective feature installer for Windows 98/98SE/ME that modularizes Windows features, applets and sub-systems into optional components that may be user installed and un-installed "on-the-fly".

You cant hope to satisfy everyone - but by making software (incl operating systems) modular, and highly customisable, you can maximise your number of happy users. Along the way I think that Microsoft forgot the single home user that can not afford the latest gear, that doesnt want a 24 hour internet connection, that doesnt want to upgrade all the time - or that simply doesnt have the dollars to keep up with the fast pace of computer developments.

98lite is not just about removing Internet Explorer from the system. 98lite is a tool that gives you the power to choose which system components you want to keep or remove - including the choice to remove IE if you want.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but I think it's a great utility, especially considering it's freeware (there is also a Pro version for enterprise desktop management). It removes (reversibly) some of the bloatware that I don't use, and my Win98SE installation has been stable for ~2 years without IE and desktop integration components.

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>

Edited by - neon on Jun 10 2001  1:07:00 PM
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition