• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by pat, August 13, 2001, 10:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pat

Hi Carol

Start zonealarm, click on help and and then under find advanced features click on the email link.

I would say once you locate the file you could always double check for viruses and go ahead and open or wait for another opinion.

Edited by - patman on Aug 13 2001  11:37:16 AM

Edited by - patman on Aug 13 2001  11:46:13 AM
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

In my opinion, ZoneAlarm tends to get carried away with that feature. Actually, it's probably a good thing, but ZA tags it with its own extension. So, whenever you get certain attachments, ZA steps in and takes over.

If you're confident that the file is clean, go ahead and open the file despite the couple warnings that ZA gives you. The bad part is that ZA will not "remember" that this is a safe file, and it will warn you every time you try to open it. At least, I haven't found a way around it. Oddly enough, if the file is first "zipped" and then sent to you, ZA won't even blink at it.

There are a couple things you could do. Go into ZA and turn off the attachment protection, and have your cousing resend the file. Once you receive it, go ahead and turn on the attachment protection again.

If you know what the file name extension should be, however, you could simply rename the extension yourself, thus wrestling control of the file away from ZA.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carol

Thanks, I'll see what happens.

Carol

http://www.thejediarts.f2s.com/chauffer1cp.gif" border=0>
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

obiwan

i am using the free version and have the email option checked. i have never had this quarantine any email attachments. am i missing something here?

also had anybody had any problems with using zonealarm with netmeeting?

I have noticed that it blocks video chats 2 out of 3 times.

scuzzy

ZoneAlarm only halts certain types of downloads. One of the ones it halts is mdb extentions. I know this through experience, since I often e-mail databases to my house. I've learned to zip them before sending them, otherwise ZA locks them up for me.

As for netmeeting, I've never used it, so I can't give you any advice there. However, if you double click on the ZA icon, you can click on the Programs tab and set permissions for any program that has ever tried to access the Internet.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Alex Garcia
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Rapier

If I suspect an infected attachment I forward it to my @yahoo.com

or hotmail address. Both can scan attachments.

Mike

Carol

Thanks guys.  What I ended up doing was saving it to a zip and then scanning it with Norton's before I opened it up.  I was pretty sure it was safe.  

Carol

It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Carol

Received an email this morning with an attachment.  When I went to look at it, it said that it was quarantined by Zone Alarm mail safe.  Said that it is possible it might contain a virus if I opened it.  Don't know what to do with it.  Is there a way I can find out.  Can't seem to find a way to scan it with Nortons. It is from my cousin and I knew he was sending it. It's supposed to be a video email.  Don't know if I have Zone Alarm configured right.  Any ideas what I should do and how I should have Zone Alarm configured?

Thanks a bunch.

Carol