• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, February 02, 2001, 13:29 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

Bless your heart Joanie,,,,you sure paint a "pretty" picture,,I will turn on the charm,, and swoon her off her feet,,,, still,,, not being a complete fool,, I will wear a cup,,,,,,,,

http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/gmrkar/lil88.jpg" border=0>

Bubba
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

I just went with Windows Millennium,,if I really do not like that,, and assuming no one here works for the FBI,, I do still have access to Win98,, even Win95 software,,My oldest son has Win ME on his Gateway and he has had no problems. I also got the SB-Live sound card, instead of the Turtle-Beach. On one of the Nascar3 forums a guy suggested to stay with the SB card. The TB card was only 30$ more, and it may very well have been SB compatable, but I chose the SB. As far back as I can remember most sound configurations for programs preffered SB settings,it seems to have a strong heritage.

Bubba
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

LTC05RET

Please do me a favor with your new puter and your son's Gateway (both have WinME). Click on Windows Explorer (Start-Programs-Accessor-

ies-Windows Explorer) and see if My Documents

comes up.  If it does, that's obviously wrong

and is a WinME bug.  I'll provide a fix later

if you want it.

Bubba

LTC,,,,,,,,,,you are scaring me,,,,,but I will do that,,,, me being borderline stupid,,does that cause a major operating problem ???

I would guess I could manually click my way from c-windows-explorer,, and re-establish a shortcut in the start menu or something,,,,or am I way off,,, or is explorer just screwed up ???

Bubba

pat

Hey LTC05RET

I have upgraded to Winme and although I use windows explorer a lot I guess I never got there from there. I always click on the Icon in my Quick launch tool bar or start menue. You are right though My doucuments does open up (from accessories). I'm thinking the right location was a leftover from win98 (?). I changed it over by copying and pasteing from the target line in the properties box and it works now.

I'm still undecided weather winme is any improvement. It does handle downloading digital images better. I take a lot of pictures. I also like being able to see thumbnails of pictures, makes it eaiser to find things.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LTC05RET

quote:

LTC,,,,,,,,,,you are scaring me,,,,,but I will do that,,,, me being borderline stupid,,does that cause a major operating problem ???

I would guess I could manually click my way from c-windows-explorer,, and re-establish a shortcut in the start menu or something,,,,or am I way off,,, or is explorer just screwed up ???

Sorry Bubba - I didn't mean to scare you.  There's no danger to the OS here - it's just a case where Microsoft messed up the default path to Explorer when they changed it in ME.

Win95/98 were fine.  If you use Explorer alot as I do, it's nice to have a shortcut on the

Desktop.  If you wish, I'll show you a fix for the path glitch and how to add shortcut

to the desktop.

pat

Hello to LTC05RET

Could you please post your fix to the explorer bug, what worked for me, doesn't seem to be working for my friend, who also has a new Dell.

Thanks in advance.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LTC05RET

Hi: 1)Go to Windows Explorer using the new WinME path (Start/Programs/Accessories/Win-

dows Explorer). RIGHT click on Windows Ex- plorer. On the "Shortcut" tab, add the fol- lowing in the "Target" block: /n,/e,C:\ (Put

a space after EXPLORER.EXE). Click OK

2) To put a shortcut to Windows Explorer on the desktop, Right click in a blank space on the current desktop. In the resulting menu,

point to "New" and then click on "Shortcut".

In the "Command line" block type C:\WINDOWS\

EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\ then click on "Next"

and enter a name for the shortcut. Click on

"Finish".

3) Thanks to "Windows ME Secrets" by Brian

Livingston and Davis Straub for this fix.

4) I hope this works for you - it did for me.

pat

Hey Thanks

I will pass this on to my friend.

In my computer the shortcut in my start menue is C:\Windows\Explorer.scf and on my quick launch tool bar is the one you say C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n,/e,C:\

they both seem to work but the first one (scf) didn't seem to work on my friends new dell I will try the other.

Thanks again.

Bubba

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus,,,

I must have caught my wife at a weak moment,, as I mentioned using my "bonus" money to perhaps get a new 'puter,,[ an important strategy is then to say you are going to give the old 'puter to one of the kids, perhaps a borderline dirty tactic, but it can bring on desired results ] and she did not knock me down,, so it looks good.

Looking at:

Dell

900 to 1G-something Speed

Pent 3 or 4

Ram 128 [ there seems to be much more ram available, is 128 ok for a home pc/toy ?

Hard drive size not such a big deal

CD-rom speed , same as above [ No interest in DVD]

CD-RW drive in second bay

32m 3D video card [maybe force-feedback ]

Sound card upgrade

Speaker upgrade

Modem upgrade

19" monitor,,, [ I have a Mag Trinitron 17" now, not sure if I need a Trinitron ]

The above system is around $1900 + or - .

What is the opinion of my selection,, I have a Quantex now,, very happy with it.

http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/gmrkar/jc.gif" border=0>

Bubba