• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Supervisor Password

Started by Mr. Muddle, November 15, 2002, 16:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Muddle

Hi.

Tools, Internet Options, Content....if I click 'disable' or 'settings', the following message appears: 'The supervisor password is required before you can continue'.

I had never set a password, so how can it be required, and how can I 'continue'?

Thank you.

dcsun

Windows 2000 or XP?  Maybe you need to login as an Administrator.

Mr. Muddle

dcsun

Nope, nothing with Windows passwords then.  Is it possible that a family member/colleague could have set a password.

Chandler

Is it the "Content Advisor" password?  This restricts access to certain websites.

I believe that you can delete the password just by editing the registry, but I cannot remember at this time how to do it.

Update: Start the registry editor RegEdit by going to Start, Run - Regedit

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings

At this point Export the Ratings "folder" to a .REG file just in case something goes wrong.

Select the item called Key and delete it.  Reboot the computer and the password should be gone.

Mr. Muddle

Thanks,

Dave, no it's not possible that anyone else has done something like that.

How did it get that way in the first place? No one has even gone NEAR content advisor!

As a side note, nothing has been restricted, ie, the settings allow the user to visit any site he/she wants. I just wanted to know why I cannot get through to the settings, for example if I ever did  want to restrcit sites in the future.

Thanks Chandler, I hope to investigate your suggestion....

Mr. Muddle

Thanks for the help Chandler.

I am wondering what the point is in having a password system if it is THAT easy to disable?!?!

scuzzy

Windows 9x & Me do not include passwords for security purposes, so much as to save settings. For example, I can set up one profile for my wife, and one for me. Each of us would have our own password for the purpose of protecting our profiles, but the passwords would provide no system security.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mr. Muddle