• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

OEM?

Started by LugwidVanB, October 19, 2004, 08:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

Newegg has Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM on sale today for $91. I can't remember what OEM means. Can you enlighten me? Is this inferior to one not OEM? I also see some have COA (Cert of Authenticity) and some don't. Is this one lacking the COA and if so what does this mean? Thanks.

Bill

In the case of Windows, OEM means you get a "getting started" reference guide.  With the Retail version you get a "Help" book, a more extensive guide.

With things like processsors, OEM is just the chip, retail typicaly includes a heatsink and fan.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

query

The OEM version of Windows must be purchased with hardware - MS has been cracking down on that, and most vendors will require that you purchase a mainboard or other major system component to be able to buy the OEM copy.