• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ad-aware won't remove an entry

Started by jfrost, October 17, 2004, 21:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrost

I've ran Ad-aware a couple times now. It removed everything except 1 thing. It says "Some items could not be removed. Try closing all browser windows prior to removal. If this doesn't work reboot and try again. Do you want Ad-aware to try on next restart?" I hit yes and restarted. So before booting into windows Ad-aware scans and I get the exact same message. I copied the object details to clipboard. Here it is.....
Vendor:Elitum.ElitebarBHO
Category:Data Miner
Object Type:File
Size:36864 Bytes
Last Activity:10-17-2004 5:00:00 AM
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:5
Comment:
Description:Browser Helper Object.Installs unsolicited, tracks usage.

So first of all how do I get rid of this thing? Also I run ad-aware pretty much any day that I've been on the internet ( spybot aswell), and there's always at least 9 or more entries. Is that normal or is there something hidding in my system that just keeps reinstalling? What's the best way to block this crap from getting in to begin with?  Also, I'm not sure if this is part of the problem but what  could, or should I be using other than Internet Explorer? Thanks for any thoughts. I use Windows ME by the way.

Glitched

Sup jfrost]

Basically, everything in the directory
C:\_RESTORE
Is used by system recovery, the tool that backs up your files so you can restore it at a later point using a boot option if you do something stupid and freeze up your operating system.

So, the file there is safe where it is, and won't be causing any dramas seeing as it is completely inactive and will be unused until you kill your computer.  Judging by your apparent cautiousness this shouldn't happen anytime soon, so you're ok.

But... If you really want to get rid of it:

• Open Help and Support Center
  • Under the Pick a task heading select "Undo changes to your computer using system restore"
  • In the box that pops up, select "Make a new restore point" and follow the instructions to do so
  • After this, it should be safe to delete the file manually.
  • To do so from the cmd, seeing as you can't see the file, type Start -> Run: Cmd.exe
  • Use the following command:
DEL C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0012174.CPY

This shouldn't be neccessary, but if it's slowly drving you insane, by all means give it a shot.

Glitched

Nestor

It's giving you the message because you're not loading in Safe Mode.
When you boot into Safe Mode, it loads the absolute minimum necessary to start. Run Adaware, Spybot, etc, etc. in Safe Mode for the best results. also, invest in a firewall for additional protection.

Before you do this, make sure your spyware is up to date in definitions.

Here's how to access Safe Mode:
Restart your computer -> Hit F5 or F8 during the reboot/ POST to access the start up configuration. Choose 'Safe Mode' and run your Adaware. you should be able to successfully remove all spyware in safe mode. After the item is removed, reboot your computer normally.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM