• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

COD piece

Started by Ace, December 22, 2008, 09:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

This might belong more in "The Funny Bone"...

I did get COD 5, or more commonly known Call of Duty: World At War for PC.  Using an ASUS M2N-SLI board with twin 7600GT cards in SLI.  I had been able to run Call of Duty 2 and 4 at max resolution and specs, without a hiccup, once I got the SLI thing going. 

This game is an entirely different critter... horrific jerkiness, glitches, freeze ups, black outs.  I've tried low res/high res/various on offs (shadows, sync, anistropic, refresh...).  Reinstalls, without the web "don't cheat" software and with.  I will only play it solo and never online (dial up...).  At times, I get sparkling visuals at spastic motion.  At times, I get ok resolution at spastic motion.  I did install the 1.1 patch (that might tell me something, when the patch almost precedes the game...).  That helped, and at least now I can get through a level.  Have gotten it to play through without freezing or booting me out, although it will go black and never come back after a level...  But never works well, and always like in slow stuttering motion.  Absolutely does NOT resemble the high resolution detail and gameplay of COD 4.

Read some about it, and wondering if my problem is sound, and not graphics...  Just because it cuts out, and voices don't match mouths.  I downloaded latest SoundMax drivers, from ASUS, and they don't install; message what I have is as good as the update (?).  Also get an error message in trying to run them by themselves (set up, instead of as driver update in System Devices) of "Plug in C-Media 6501" then do drivers.  I've downloaded C-Media 6501 drivers, but THEY don't seem to install anywhere special (no device identified for them) and even after "install" still getting the "plug in C-Media" message.  I don't know if they mean plug in as in software, or plug in some actual device..?  I really don't have anything physical to plug in (even installed the stupid microphone that came with it, but no effect).  I've run the SoundMax set up again, which is a mixing board thing, but I'm stuck at trying to update/upgrade anything sound related.

Anyone know what the C-Media 6501 thing is?  I'm stuck trying to figure that, compared with SoundMax mixer, and just how this all relates.  I'll probably shop latest nVidia drivers, but have had not great results in previous attempts to run newer video drivers.  Plus, if it's sound, don't expect much from messing with video drivers.

Anyone else playing this yet?  Any good or horrible experiences?  I guess I expected it to be a lot like COD 4, just different setting, but the glitchiness reminds me more of Call of Duty 1 at this point.

Ace; guess I'm awaiting patch 1.2...
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Hi Ace

I think the C-Media 6501 relates to part of the on-board sound chipset you have on the motherboard.  The Soundmax mixer sounds like a sound mixing application, not actually a sound driver(?).

Anyhoo, it sounds to me that you have a bit of a driver issue there but it may not necessarily be the sound drivers at fault, it may also be the motherboard chipset drivers.

Personally, I would start by downloading the latest drivers for the motherboard chipset and sound.  Next, go into Control Panel and uninstall the sound hardware from Device Manager.  Then reboot, go into BIOS and disable the on-board sound.  Next, go back into windows and update your motherboard chipset drivers.  Reboot, re-enable the sound and when back in Windows it should prompt for drivers - point it to the new downloaded ones.

See what that does for you.....

Buff; good luck.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Hi Buff,

Hope your sinus drivers are working better, too.  Holey Moley, I haven't been into Bios since I.. well, flashed my dang Bios.  Criminy, that's a lot of steps.  But I'll probably give it a go.  I did update the chipset drivers back when, during the SLI deal or ordeal. 

I did get the game chugging pretty decently, with minimal choppage.  So far it seems just a bit smoother if I go with "No" on dual video.  But the detail with "Yes" is just a bit more special.  Hasn't actually frozen up completely, in a time.  It's a lot like COD 4 was before I got the SLI thing going and it "took."  Will also check on newer game updates, since they apparently figured it's pretty glitchy.  Right now I'm going at 1250 and most stuff on (shadows, ocean detail, etc.).  Will report back on sound, once I see if anything actually affects it.  Thanks for the advice and assist -

Ace; I wish I could turn down the "cold affect" on my dental work from yesterday...
Ring bells for service.