• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

windows messenger..

Started by ahopeter, January 08, 2004, 03:07 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

is there anyway to make windows messenger work with my yahoo account, or does it have to be for a msn/verizon account?
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

Yahoo has its own messenger program - or, you can use Trillian, which will work with most of the major messenger services (though it has trouble with MSN).

ahopeter

basically i wanted to keep in contact with my sister who uses hotmail, what would you recommend i use?  any help finding where i can get it would be greatly appreciated!
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Chandler

I'd just set up a Hotmail "Passport", it's a lot simpler and it's free.

ahopeter

with "passport" i can use my existing yahoo account?

Chandler

You can set up a Microsoft Passport alongside any other account type you use.

So, you use Yahoo! IM with your Yahoo account, and Windows Messenger (included with XP) with your Passport.  Both can run at the same time without problems.

ahopeter

i just did windows messenger, and set it up with my yahoo email... so it does work with yahoo.  i think. now do i still need to do yahoo messenger to communicate with hotmail?  

basically whats the program or programs i need for my yahoo email to communicate with a hotmail email account?  thanks

Chandler

If Windows Messenger allowed you to set up with your Yahoo address, then you can talk to other MSN/Hotmail users.

If you have Yahoo IM contacts (i.e. they're not using messenger) then you'll need to install that too.

ahopeter

great, thank you... everything works perfect.