• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

LT MyVitalAgent [V]

Started by Neon, March 27, 2001, 13:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Neon

I have been a long-time user of the helpful Net.Medic utility by VitalSigns Software. This program monitors modem and network activity, and allows a home user to diagnose where bottlenecks occur (very handy for impatient downloaders such as myself). It dynamically displays data transmission speeds (traffic loads) at each step from PC to modem to ISP servers to internet servers to remote destination server. It displays individual and average page-retrieval times, and aids in tweaking your modem's efficiency.

Thus, I was excited when Bear mentioned that Lucent Technologies, which bought VitalSigns, has released an updated version called MyVitalAgent, and it's freeware (yeehaw!). I downloaded and installed version 8.0.1, http://www.lucent-networkcare.com/software/myvitalagent/ which promptly uninstalled and replaced NetMedic for me. The MyVitalAgent interface is very similar to NetMedic, with slightly nicer graphics.

Unfortunately, MyVitalAgent is only partially functional on my computer system. Despite support for DSL, cable modems, and LAN, in the FAQ is the following warning:

"At this time, MyVitalAgent only supports the U.S. Robotics Sportster and Courier dial-up modems. However, some users have successfully

used MyVitalAgent with other dial-up modems."

3Com/USR bundled Net.Medic with many of its modems, and later used technology licensed from VitalSigns in its Modem Manager software, which uses nearly the same improved graphics as in MyVitalAgent.

With my dialup, the parts that work are limited to modem connect/disconnect, dynamic traffic meter, and clock. I cannot determine where bottlenecks are, transaction times, modem speed, nor view historical performance reports. This is actually a lesser level of performance than Net.Medic provided. :-\

If any of you folks have an idea how to get MyVitalAgent to work with other dialups, I'd like to get it working. Otherwise, I will probably revert to Net.Medic for now. If you have a USR Sportster or Courier (or DSL or cable modem), then I'd say give it a try.

DISCUSS HERE
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition