• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

New OS Install

Started by epihammer, July 21, 2008, 13:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

epihammer

I currently have my computer setup with Windows 2000 Pro on the C: drive and all the programs on a seperate harddrive, drive E:
   I want to upgrade my system to XP after I install a new motherboard. My question is...How do I get XP to see the existing programs on the E: drive? Do I have to re-install all the programs? Or can I just remap them?

Thanks,
  Hammer

abseh1

That is a tricky task & could be risky if not careful and patient...i would not recommend it @ all
Windows XP will not play with the W2K programs anyway

You could move the W2k installed programs  back to C: drive and install Windows XP on a new partition on C:
Takes knowledge and software... Gparted is open source and free too
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

But then you will have issues with the new mobo after installing it...bad idea IMHO
==============================
I would make a data CD or better DVD and forget trying to move programs
(moving programs is not recommended)

Replace the mobo

Then if you still want W2K....install it first after reformatting...then next install WinXP next (w2k should always go before WinXP)
==============================
Yes... the best way is to reinstall all the programs

You may have to talk via telephone to activate WinXP ....but...  I doubt it since it is an WinXP fresh install

I think keeping data on the second drive works best & keep the OS system including programs on the C Drive

This is just my opinion ...maybe someone else has a better solution for you?

Good luck

abseh1

You could just move all the data to the second drive...but I prefer to backup occasionally with a DVD or CD

The second drive may crash some day and you will still have your data saved