• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

BARTER, SELL OR TRADE POASTS

Started by Ace, October 30, 2005, 11:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Yes, those villains in the wild west days were well hanged.  I mean, they weren't going to survive that.  They were really proficient at that.  Hanging.

heh.

No, Walter Mitty didn't feel at home here.  The idiot kept pretending he was someone else and changing his sign-in and finally got banned.

Ace; I've always been me.  Well, not "Ace" since that's not me.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

Banned for each of his personas?  Geez, the forum cop must have been busy as an adult with 7 hula hoops in the air, sorta, in the air.
I wondered what happened to him, or them.  Mitty(s) that is.  I think I know what happened to the hoops.  They got shot, or banned.

Bill; don't ask, don't tell.

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Well, sure.  You get some of those multiple personalities, going, you're gonna get the whole kit and kaboodle banned.  If you don't skedaddle first.  Of course, that's your prerogative.

I think I'll do ok on the vocabulary test next week.

I used to shoot hoops; it's a Hoosier pasttime. Pastime. Past Time.  Pastrami.

Huh, I just passed time.  That's good, since I was kinda anxious to get the weekend started before it started.

Ace; Time to run.  Then, time to rehydrate.  
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Dang.  You shouldn't  sneak up on folks that way.  Here one minute, gone the next.  

How about Hoosier Hobby.  Good thing you spelled "Hoosier" correctly; I wouldn't have.

You ever do anything about upgrading your mouse?  Friend of mine runs a company in Wisc.  that offers genetically specific mouses.  I imagine you could get one specifically for a faux desk.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Nah, my mouse is good; thanks.  It's a Logitech.  With the laser beam thingy, that goes off occasionally.  It's corded, but it's ok.  Sometimes the thing gets hung up on the power strip and I've got to yank it around...

Sorry; hanged up on the power strip.

I had a Trackball, once.  I got tired of it glitching, though.  You get any microbe of dust mites in one of those they can go off.  That's when I had the mouse and trackball and joystick all hooked up and operable; it's a skill.  Which I haven't attempted, since.

I really don't identify with "Hoosiers" since it's a doofy nickname and the IU team is definitely Dorky.  I'm leaning more toward being an Indian from Indiana.  You know, I could probably help as a translator with overseas tech help, since I oughta know the dialect.

Ace; that was about as mixed a metaphor as we've seen this week.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The question was really about your video card but we are not allowed to mix up the rooms, so I didn't ask that.

Bill; he's right, the Dolts will lose.

Ace

Well, and I was thinking about which socks to wear tomorrow.

The Dolts dangit Colts will not lose... Geez Louise, NObody beats the dcolts 7 or 20 times in a row..  Plus, BOTH QB's are cursed, being on the cover of SI this week.  That oughta settle things.

Plus, in the Madden 05 game I started yesterday, the Colts are ahead 20-0.  Hah!

Right now the video card is ok, and I haven't found a more demanding game to make me wonder if I'd need better.  Everything is stable, and performing fine.  Even me, more or less.

Ace; Tennessee is in town today.  They ain't nothin' but houndogs. Hounddogs.  Tell Fido.

Ring bells for service.

Bill

Fido and I watched the Tenn/ND game, together, sorta.  Guess we sent those hound dogs packin'.

That's the problem with reality and computers.  Dolts only win against the Patriots in neverland, no, not Jackson's.  But I wish they would.  Would certainly help the NY/NJ teams.  They need all the help they can get.  

Bill; he was in the chair.

Ace

I guess that's what they deserve, living in NYNJ.  It's not like being in the heartland of the crossroads of the land that time forgot or can't tell, Indianapolis.  That's south of Michiana but north of Hoosierville.  

You know, I did like the Walter Mitty stories but I never cared for the illustrations.  I didn't like the style, and don't need someone to show me what I'm imagining.  I'd rather let my imagination run wild.  Once, I saw it leaving the house and running down the street... it was the darndest thing to catch up with.

I do think Walter Mitty could be the chapter president here, due to the proclivity of poasters through the years who have imagined other personas.  Some alphanumeric, some symbolic.  Heck, it's getting time for Satan Claus and the Reindeer and Elves to be heading back, probably.  

Bob; to thine own self be true.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Wait.  Let's deal with Thomas the Turkey first.  First, he tastes better and there is all that sleeping hormone material to regurgitate, again, this year, and probably next.

And B, if we start with Satan and the Elfs or gnomes now we or you, and certainly I,  will surely run out of even old stuff to rale about.  Better yet, we could go back to Easter and relive the bunny and Resurrection of old, forgotten Poasters.  

Bill; sometimes the past is not all that comfortable.

Ace

Look; life isn't "comfortable."  My jeans aren't "comfortable."  The ways the Bears win isn't "comfortable."  But it's satisfying, in its own way.

I don't mind crawling into the Easter tomb, only to be resurrected amidst Haikus and hogwash.  It's the way of the world.  And if Elfs/Elves bring glad tidings to the boys and girls who don't frequent this place, then so be it.  It's why they're here.

I'll tell ya what's not comfortable; Ohio, that's what.  Although I wish my jeans were more like Ohio, as in way too wide.  It's better than the alternative.

I think I oughta invent a new poaster:  Bob Mitty.  He imagines himself someone he's not.  Maybe come up with some blonde jokes, or something.

You know what?  Murphy's Turkey became ground turkey last night.  We had high winds, and the inflated turkey was upside down mid evening.  Then flattened by morning.  It was funny as heck.  The abominable was blown to smithereens.

Baste a turkey in white wine, and you've got a killer sleeping pill.

aCe; like I need help.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

According to the news this morning, you all had a pretty big wind. Wouldn't think much is "comfortable" in that area.

Plastic lawn kill.  Not good for much except amusement.  Wouldn't even feed the SQUIRRELS!!  What is the "statement" about seasonal lawn decorations people are investing good beer money in to make?  I just don't understand....

"Bob Mitty" that would be a clever guise.  Imagine, a personality built around a fictitious person by an alias for a fictitious person.  My, my....

Bill; not my real name.

Ace

"Jesters are full of tryptophan; that's the reason they make you tired."

I'll tell you, the people who sell inflatable holiday lawn memorabilia must get all excited to see Murphy coming...  His Turkey is still flat; I'm hoping it's not salvageable.  Even as leftovers.

If an imaginary person imagines himself a ficticious character, does he make a sound if he fakes falling over his faux desk?

Well, I thought I heard a crash, but I did feel it more than hear it.

Ace Mitty: sounds like a jester hand warmer

Ring bells for service.

Bill

"...does he make a sound if he fakes falling over his faux desk?
Not that we can hear, but the chair groans, probably.

Ace

Sometimes it squeals like someone's crushing it... big baby chair.

Ace; the turkey is down.  Usually, ducks are down.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

OK, so much for the Thanksgiving poast.............

Ace

Oh, it's way too early for that.  This is that blessed time of year in the equinox betwixt Halloween and TD Day.  When it's staying fairly warm, the leaves have changed and plummeted, there's no stinking snow, football games are important and worthwhile, and the tryptophan coma is still weeks away.  

That's strange; I just saw my wife drive past the house, on her way from work to work, I guess.  She left about 40 minutes ago (she goes in waaay before I do) and is in one office NE and the other near downtown SB.  That's weird to see your own car go by you...

Or, go bayou if you're in the Gulf.  I wonder if they've found it yet.  I saw that an escaped killer got drunk down there and was caught talking on a payphone, so way to go to all the booze servers who helped bring him to justice.

Maybe that could be worked into a bar joke, if not a Law and Order, SUV.

Bob Mittens
Ring bells for service.

Bill

They haven't found it yet.  Surprisingly, it moved from near the lake to the lower housing projects.  I suspect they're not looking too hard.

I had that happen to me once.  She got in the car, drove by me and I haven't seen her since.

Since you mentioned football, the Colts certainly showed the Pats a thing or 2.  'Course this week may be a different story.

I've never been very good at following instructions or warnings.

Bill; I guess now it is....

Ace

HEY! CAN'T YOU READ DANGIT DANG POAST IS A DANG DEAD POAST. cLOSED! SCRAM!  GOWAN!

Criminy.

Colts rule; they can ride the dome path throughout the playoffs to the superbowl, and become Champs.  Put them outside on tundra in January and they're doomed, that's for sure...  I wonder why the NBA doesn't have indoor teams, and outdoor teams?  That'd be kinda cool;  Lakers at Pistions in February, outside.

I used to play basketball outdoors, all year round.  Meaning on ice, slamming the ball to knock snow off when it went off the driveway... driving carefully for layups so as not to slide into the garage.  If you can shoot a dead ball with gloves on, you can hit anything.

Ace; I only play indoor computer games.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Hey, someone should put a padlock on here because I got in with no trouble at all.

Buff; Are you SURE it's dead?
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

Buff   BUFF. You're back!  Buff, Buff, yeah, yeah, OK.

Where you been, huh?  Obviously you were missed.
Geez, you're not allowed to take time off or a vacation, or visit any other web sites.  :-\  Don't pay any attention to the "swarmy" comments.  According to Trav  "Emoticons rule" ;D

Bill; yeah, swarmy is right.

Ace

Well, it WAS DEAD "Dr. Frankensteen"....

Geez criminy.  Now the Reanimator returns, too.  You know, speaking of System Restore, to return to a previously functioning stage...

I your mom vacuums your keyboard, and you lose functioning, so you restore to a place before then, does the dust return too...?

I know I should poast that sort of thing in the tech room, but I'm not supposed to go there anyway.  Something about it not supposed to being funny, and not supposed to being wrong.  I don't know, to me giving bad advice is kinda funny.  Somebody writes "HELP ME; MY MOUSE TURNED UPSIDE DOWN AND NOW I CAN'T SEE THE BUTTONS" so you say "Oh, you need to reinstall Windows, then, and do a complete reformat."  Or "HELP ME; I'M NOT USING ALL MY USB PLUGS IS THAT OK" and you say, "Oh, you need to do a complete reformat and reinstall Windows, then."

Or "I JUST WENT INTO BIOS AND MY DESKTOP ICONS DISAPPEARED HELP" and you go

Ok. wait a minute.  That one sounds familiar...  what was the deal with that...  

Ace; I'm glad nobody has come up with a Jesterblocker yet.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Funny- yesterday the daughter called; her boss was in a panick
" "I JUST WENT INTO BIOS AND MY DESKTOP ICONS DISAPPEARED HELP" the boss said.   The bar and resturant computer was hurting.   I said "reboot and try this and this, if that doesn't work you'll have to format and reinstall."
Fortunately, this and this worked......

Almost as good as "last night I turned off my computer and now I don't know how to turn it back on."

Bill; coffee break.  If it needs to get done, Google will find a way.

Ace

I went ahead and printed the desktop, then cut out each icon so I can tape them back on in case they go, again.

I usually prefer hardware solutions to a software fix.

Ace; unlike most people my head is soft but my brain is hard.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Ace may have stumbled onto the perfect backup solution.

I am currently printing out everything that I have on my hard drives. Everything. I'm taking off to my local office supply monster store in just a moment to purchase another case of paper, as well as some toner so that I can finish the job.

I'm also printing out every picture and then taking pictures of them. I'll use my camcorder to record all my cute video clips right off the screen, and I have an old portable reel-to-reel to record all my MP3s and special sound effects. I really like the "Ding" sound file that comes with Windows.

If my system ever crashes, or goes up in flames, I'll be ready.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

You maroon.

First off, to say "Ace stumbled, so I thought I'd follow him.."  I hope you're wearing knee pads.  I do; force of habit.

Secondly; you copy photos (e.g. phoatos).  You take photos of magazine ads, so as to impress poasters with your stereo system.  Criminy.

I remember taking photos of Steve Martin doing "King Tut" on the Tonight Show.  Of course, if you try to copy your Sony stuff they'll load in those virus spyware tracking goofball things, and then offer a solution that isn't.  

When I was a kid we'd tape records with the tape deck.  Reel tape.  I used a Revox tape deck at the radio station at Purdue.  Man, were we ever analog.

Flames are tough.  Somebody starts that stuff, you just want to Ding them, you know?  You know what you might try; cut and paste all your docs onto emails, and send them to yourself.  That way you've got everything coming to you that you deserve.

Ace; "Send it off in a letter, to yourself" Rikki
Ring bells for service.

Bill

The question is, what will you be ready for?  You cannot reload paper copies.  If your disk crashes, its dead, along with your paper copies.  

Ace doesn't stumble; he just falls down.

Talk about maroons.  My neighbor, let's call him Ralph,  sat on his butt today instead of working on moving his leaf collection to the curb.   Supposed to snow tonight and  freeze.  Guess he'll have those leave 'till spring.  'Course they'll probably wind up getting blown, with the winter winds, into all the neighbors' yard.  Dang lazy Ralph.

Bill

Ace

No, the question is "For what will you be ready?"  Sure you can reload papers.  Most of my time at work is shuffling back and forth over my desk.  "Let's put this one over there, and try that one over here.  Now let's see how that one would look, here.  And those, over there."

Ralph must be related to Murphy.  Murphy had finally given up on the Turkey dirigible, after a 2 day run.  He set up this 15 foot tall Santa in a hot air balloon with an elf dangling outside the bucket, last week.  It was not only bizarre and hideous, it looked sorta cruel in its own way.  And boy howdy did that thing catch the wind; it looked ready for lift off.  But it's gone...  I don't know if it got ice and snow encrusted and failed to respond or popped a blowhole or what.  We've got a few inches and it's about 20 degrees out, so not fit for man nor blimp.

It is better to light your neighbor, than just curse him.  Something like that.

Ace; "Groups whose epitaphs said 'We Followed Ace'"

1. Lemmings
2. The Children of Hamlin
3. pandas
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Well, unlike Murphy, Ralph doesn't have inflatibles, but he put up his Christmas decorations about a week before Thanksgiving; Fido and I watched.  Ralph volunteered that "it's too cold to do it after Thanksgiving."  So, our neighborhood has been blessed with not so lovely blue hanging icicle lights since.  
Tis the season......

Bill; now we have 2" of snow and frozen leaves!

Ace

Well, he doesn't have inflatables that you can see.

You wonder why idiots I mean people like that don't just put up their holiday decorations in July, when the weather suits them.  Just one big mishmash of Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July Christmas Easter.  And new year's.

I may try the snowblower today.  Or just push it off.  I only had scrambled eggs for breakfast, so no thrill in doing heavy lifting.

We got snow on our leaf pile, but it melted just before pickup. Good luck.  My idiot sorry maroon brother bags his leaves, loads the Matrix and hauls them to the dump to pay for disposal.  He lives near the river.  You'd think a good kick down the bank would work as well...

Murphy will probably mow today; same as snowblowing the yard, I guess.

Ace; I hate winter, as Bubba probably is.
Ring bells for service.