• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

home entertainment computer

Started by holts91, March 30, 2004, 20:13 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

holts91

I want to build a computer for my home theater. with a tv card and DVD drive. what should my min. req. be  

Vern

Mark H

What kind of budget do you have available?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

holts91

holts91

I all ready have some things laying around. just dont know if they are good enough.

Vern

Mark H

What do you already have available? If your unit of value is dollars, $300 won't get you what you are wanting.

Mark H

holts91

16x dvd-rom, 128ram, tv card, 32meg video card, and a 120g HDD

Mark H

You will need a case, power supply, motherboard, processor, more RAM and hard drive, which will press your $300 budget.

I would start with the following:

AMD 2500 XP
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
Two 256 meg sticks of PC2700 Crucial RAM
An Antec Sonata case
80 gig Western Digital hard drive

Your DVD-rom should work with the above, but your video card is an unknown commodity to me, so I can't comment on it. The above will run more than $300 though.

Mark H

holts91

Thanks Mark H

That gives me a good place to start. I'll let you know how it goes. What type of video card do you recommend.

Vern

pat

Perhaps one of the ATI all in wonder cards, but even the 9200 would break your budget.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

holts91

Thanks, I guess I'll have to dig deeper into my wallet.

Vern

Andrew S

Good Choice Mark, i have that the asus a7n8x deluxe version and is now running great

Mark H

Don't forget the operating system either. Windows XP home should work for your purposes, which ups the amount as well.

Mark H

holts91

I did some shopping and here is what I found, what do you think.

CHENBRO Black Micro ATX Screwless Desktop Case with 200W Power Supply, Model "PC40522-BK"

DFI KM266A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "AZ30-TL"

AMD Duron 1.4GHz Socket A Processor

High Tech ATI RADEON 7000(VE) Video Card, 64MB DDR, Dual VGA/TV-Out, 4X AGP, Model "R6L-22"

KWORLD PCI TV Tuner, Video Capture Card, REMOTE, Model "KW TV878RF PRO"

Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100

Subtotal ? $ 286.00

I have:
16x DVD-ROM
120gig HDD

Andrew S

I have to disagree with your power supply.  Its not very powerful at all for what you want to run.   (in my opinion) I would at LEAST get a 300 watt.  Besides if you plan to run win xp, i think they recommend min of 300 watt

holts91

thanks i'll look for a better power supply. Does everything else look good?

Vern

Andrew S

Everything else seems to be ok to me especially for the budget you're on.  I would see if anyone else replys also though to verify my opnion

Mark H

I would still recommend the Antec Sonata case. It has a 380 watt power supply, looks good and runs quiet, which is what you would want for a system that is going to be part of your intertainment center. It can be bought for $96 at www.newegg.com (see the following link).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-127&depa=1

Mark H

holts91

I'm trying to find a desktop microATX to fit in my stack. Not much luck so far.

Vern

Mark H

Now I understand. The case you selected should be fine if you don't add any other peripherals to it (beyond what you selected). If you do, I would replace the power supply with a 300 watt supply.

Enjoy!

Mark H

Andrew S

Do Poast back and let us know how your build went and how it all works

holts91

I'm still tweaking the parts. I will let you know how it goes.

Vern

the sheeep

dont cheap out on the case... i few people i know bought cheap aluminum cases and they literally shake and rattle and make so much noise you cant stand being near them...
www.2-a-d.com
...if only parents trusted kids with technology...

trav

Would Windows XP Media Center Edition suffice for a "home theatre" pc though?
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Chandler

XP MCE is just the operating system, or more specifically, a program which runs on a special version of Windows XP Professional.  You can buy "Media Center PCs" which come with XP MCE loaded on them.

XP MCE has very specific hardware requirements, and I don't even think you buy it now (you could obtain it as an "OEM" up until a couple of months ago I believe).  There are alternatives, and many are better.

I'd recommend ShowShifter if you want to build a media-centre like PC, it is very stable and works very nicely for me (I had to get the DVB version to work with my USB digital TV box).  It's not cheap, but it is very flexible.

If you're a Linuxian, then try MythTV, or download a distribution which already has MythTV built into it.