• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Client/Server Question

Started by z06, October 09, 2003, 17:34 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

z06

I recently took a test and one of the questions on them stated:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Client/server computing is a widely used form of centralized processing.

True or False?
--------------------------------------------------------------
I answered this as "True" but according to her it is "False." Honestly now, am I right or wrong? And if I am right, could you help me explain this to her? And if I am wrong, could you explain to me why? Thanks!

Ace

Ok, z, I know this isn't what you asked for, but somebody has to step up to the plate.  Pretty soon the Cubs will, but until then I'll do the dirty work.  

20 people have read this, and no one has responded, so I'm thinking "the wrong news is better than no news"...  

To me, the client/server relationship is key to food service.  As the client, I depend on the server.  And the server depends on me for his/her livelihood.  We are intertwined, much as a Jester is the server to the King, the client.  I'm the Jester here, so you have to take what I say with a grain of salt.  

Actually, I'd recommend a whole pile of it.  If somebody would come around the tables with a salt shaker instead of a pepper mill, I'd take them up on that.  

The centralized processing of the food order, often on computer, is the intertwining of the server and the client, as the one's order is input and processed, and the other waits to receive that processing for delivery.

Upon delivery, the client is relieved and appreciative, and renumerates the server accordingly.  The transaction is complete, and all parts have meshed so as to satisfy all parties.  In the old days, one would create hard-copy reference that would be read by the processing staff, and the server would need to hope for an accurate interpretation.  With computers, the wait staff has a direct line to the processing team, and the client has a better chance of accurate delivery of his/her order.  

The downside is the computer generated bar drink.  I'm sorry, but they just seem overly processed and not genuine.  I'd sooner see a member of the bar pouring the actual recipe of a Long Island Iced Tea into the glass, than the lame coke based concoction the computer whips up.

I hope that answered your question.  

I think it probably did not.  Nevertheless, I have at least attended to it, while others waited for their moment to jump in and actually deal with the topic at hand.  I hope, if nothing else, the impertinence of my intrusion will prompt somebody who actually knows something on the topic to take the baton from my gloved hand and deal with the issue, as presented.  

Even when unasked, and unwelcomed, I am at your service.  Now then, somebody keen on the processing of clients and servers make take hold of this matter and jump right in.

I shall take my leave, knowing that a 15-20% tip is adequate server reward.

Ace; I tell ya, sometimes I've gotta stick my neck out just to keep this place going.   Your welcome.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

You might check out the below link and read through it. I didn't see the answer to your question in it, but I didn't read it in detail.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/client-server-faq/

Based on how our network at my place of work is setup, I would say that your teacher is correct. The problem is that I only have the one referrence, so I can't make the assumption that most places are set up like us.

What I would recommend is going to your teacher and asking her to explain why you are incorrect. That would be the logical approach.

By the way, welome to poasters. :)

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

44mayg

I haven't taken any classes like you, so I might be way off base. But I'll give you my limited understanding of what I think the question means and why it might have been incorrect.

Centralized processing: "Several computers work sending smaller bits of information to a main computer so the main computer can do all the hard work."

I would think that a server and client are two different computers connected and sharing information with each other, but not sharing processor power towards the same end result. Client asks for something, like a link or some information about something, and the server provides the link or information asked for.

This isn't an example of centralized processing, but two computers just sharing information back and forth, with neither one being the processor doing the main work.

The SETI project could be an example of centralized processing, where several less powerful computers work to gather information, then send the information it has to a central computer for the hard number crunching on the information sent by the less powerful computers. The lesser chips on your motherboard are the clients, where the main processor does all the work.

Maybe this is a bad example, but whenever you talk on the phone with someone, you and the other person are sharing information back and forth in an equal way. The phone office is the central processor in this example. All voice information goes through it to be processed, and sent to the other end of the line.

Again, I could be all screwed up on this cuz I'm just trying to figure out why it would be false from what I think the words "centralized" and "processing" mean by themselves.

Computer definition could mean something quite different when the two words are used together. I believe this was one of those questions that sound easy at the moment, but was intended to make you think a little deeper than easy.