• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Quantex Network Card

Started by 350cid, September 16, 2002, 21:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

350cid

So I just bought this Quantex laptop.  Heres what I know.  The number on the bottom says N30W.  Its a P3 500 with 64 Megs of RAM.  It has a port for a modem (RJ-11?)but I dont dial-up anymore and I was wondering if I could get rid of this modem and replace it with a network adapter.  I havent opened her up so I dont know if this modem is integrated into the motherboard or what.   Unfortunately I dont have any more info on the actual model number, Ive read that the N30W isnt actually the important number.  I was hoping to keep the PCMCIA slots open for other things, but we'll see what happens.  So if anybody has any info, I'd be greatful.  Thanks in advance.

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters!

If the modem is not in one of the pcmcia slots, it likely can't be removed or upgraded.  I would recommend that you get a pcmcia ethernet adapter to connect to your network.

Dave

query

Most of these Compal-built machines have the modem in a mini-PCI slot under a trapdoor in the bottom of the notebook.

There should be space for a second mini-PCI card (network card) as well - if you don't want to use a PCMCIA NIC (or USB, if 10 MBps is fast enough).

If the modem isn't recognized hardware-wise, you might want to try reseating it in the PCI slot first - before you try to fiddle with the driver settings.