• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by BlueIce, December 16, 2000, 20:15 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueIce

James if you are getting sound from an audio

cd then i think your sound card is fine

The windows sounds can be turned off ,look in the control panel under the sounds group

in there it should have a task such as exit windows highlight it then down toward the bottom of that window should be a play button hit that and see if your hear anything notice that to the left of that play button it should say the name and path of the file its going to play if it says none the hit the arrow down to see your selections if that doesnt work make sure all your volume levels are up in the volume controls wave volume would be the one to look at close if that doesnt work maybe uninstall reinstall the multimedia section of the windows setup in the control panel

Work like you don't need money,

Love like you've never been hurt,

And dance like no one is watching

jzind

BlueIce, thanks for the info. Tried everything yuo suggested, but it still doesn't work. Nothing is highlighted when I go to the mulit media panel and try to reinstall it. Any other thoughts, thanks again

James

QQQ

As Blue Ice stated, if you are able to play a cd, then the problem is not with your sound card.

You don't make it clear, however, which sounds you are trying to play.  So, taking a guess, I am presuming you want to hear a sound when you do things like open/ close a program, etc.  

If that is the case, go into control panel and double click on the Sounds Icon.  You will see a list of "events." If there is nothing next to the name of an event, that means a sound has not been associated with it and you will not hear anything when that event occurs.

To associate a sound with an event, hightlight the name of the event.  In the box below it, called "Sound" there will be a box for a sound name.  The default is "None," but clicking on the arrow on the right hand side will produce a drop-down menu of the available sounds from which to choose.

You will manually have to set this for every event for which you want a sound.  After you are finished, click on Apply, then Ok.

jzind

Appreciate your suggestions,and you are right that I would like to hear something when I open/close windows etc. But I've tried your suggestions and nothing will highlight when I click on it. Any other ideas? James

n/a

James, what version of Windows are you running?

When you say nothing is highlighted when you click on it--are their already little horn icons by the event you try to highlight, or is it just a list without any icons at all?

Below that Events box in the Schemes box, is there a scheme selected or is it blank?

http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/bb1cc.jpg" border=0>

Merry HO HO HO--Bear

jzind

Bear,

Windows 95. The icons are there, scheme is default windows icons. When it is highlighted and you click on the icon there is no sound.

No sound sliding scale to adjust either.

No other clue. Thanks,

James

BlueIce

If you still have your windows cd then we can try something else

Go to control panel

Go to Add/Remove Software

Click on the Windows setup tab

Look for a listing for Multimedia

there should be a check in the box already if not put one in it

If there is then click on the check in the box to remove it then hit apply wait till windows is done doing what its going to do

Then hit ok

then reboot

When windows restarts go back to control panel / add/remove software / windows setup tab

again look for multimedia section check should not be there now put the check in the box make sure it is a white box and not a grey one / hit apply you may need the windows disk at this point if it calls for it put it in and let windows copy files

Then when done hit ok

Reboot your system

Cross your fingers

If you do not have the windows cd or your cab files on the HDD then this is going to get hairy

jzind

Tried the suggestions, but to no avail.

The schemes are windows default, but when you push preview, nothing!

In the multi media properties, audio preferred devices is "no playback device",

MIDI-output "blank" and it won't let me select anything.

Hence my thought that I have to ID the sound card and reinstall the drivers. So how do I determine what the sound card is? Thanks,

James

BlueIce

What is listed in your device manager for the sound card ?

Is there a yellow ( ! ) on the sound or any device in the sound card listing ?

It might be a good idea to boot into safe mode and see what is listed for your sound there as well

jzind

How do I boot into the safe mode? Will this tell me what sound card is installed?

Jame

QQQ

Hi Jzind,

Sorry I couldn't respond before, the server was giving me problems.

When you go into device manager and click on the + next to the sound card what is listed there?

To boot into safe mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the sys is doing memory test.  It will go through the process of detecting the drives before it brings up the menu for safe mode.

jzind

Tried your latest suggstions and it still hasn't helped. Nothing is listed when I click on the tab. How do I find what sound card is installed? If I could determine that, I may be able to reinstall the drivers, which may be the problem,thanks.

James

QQQ

Hi Jzind,

Do you have your invoice?  

If so, what is listed for the sound device? The part# would start with SND-  .

jzind

SND-SS16  16-Bit Stereo Sound Card/MDA16

is what is on the invoice?

Now what?

James

Andreas

Maybe someone can help me out, but I think that this sound card has the Sound Blaster Pro chipset on it. I am not 100% sure. But it is worth a shot...

Try this Fountain URL(one of the last remaining few!) and scroll to the very bottom.

http://www.inteva.com/customer3/cusset.html

Download and extract the 2 last files SBPRO_1 and SBPRO_2 onto 2 different disks. Then run the setup on the disk 1.  Let us know if this worked.

jzind

Tried downloading both files, but they must be closed for the Holidays, will try again

Tuesday. Thanks, keep you posted.

James

jzind

Have an older Quantex machine Ser.#5001261262

in which the sound card is no longer being recognized. The cd player still works and plays music, but no sound for the windows functions. How do I find out what sound card I have, so I can try anr relocate the dirvers and reinstall.Am I on the right track or have I missed something?

Thanks,

James

JZind@aol.com