• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, December 15, 2000, 19:18 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Hi Maxie,

Check back frequently over the next day or two for an answer. Most of our regulars are sparce around here on Friday nights and weekends. We have folks here who are very knowledgeable in this area, so odds are good you'll get the answer you're looking for.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0> (The real Scuzzy)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Chandler

Yes, as long as the model code is the same, then you should be fine because they're the same boards.  You can use the standard Biostar BIOS if it's newer but be warned - make sure that you get the correct one.

There's one for the UMC chip and one for the SMC.  You should get the UMC version.  I have a Fujitsu system which had the BIOS TVX1227A originally and I flashed it with TVX1619B and it worked fine.  I think that it will probably be the UMC version that you need but I'm not sure.  If it doesn't mention SMC on the BIOS POST screen then you're fine (the SMC versions display a message about "for SMC Chipset").

http://www.biostar-usa.com/museum/Bios/8500TVX/tvx0619b.exe

I was investigating processor upgrades for this board and unfortunately, the BIOS update won't allow you to use that processor.  The Cyrix MII 300 works fine though at it's maximum speed of 66Mhz*3.5 (233MHz).  It performs roughly on-par with a PII 266.

It seems that the only changes between "A" "B" and "D" BIOS releases are the default setup options and so I wouldn't worry.  You can get the Pionex BIOS if you want to be sure that it will work although the Biostar release is newer and is the one that I would go for.

Maxie

Thank you for your response.

So I can use either the Pionex or Biostar BIOS updates. One of my worries was that the BIOSTAR webpage says:

"CAUTION: Please contact your vendor to find out the source of the board. if the last letter isn't "B". which stands for BIOSTAR.".

However; you say that's no problem for Quantex, right?

I have one other question:

BIOSTAR uses FLASH53A.COM and TVX0619B.ROM file on a bootable diskette. Pionex uses the method where you power the system on with the AMIBOOT.ROM (unzipped from P5WB0325.EXE)

on a diskette while holding the Ctrl and Home keys down.

It seems so strange to me that one can use both methods for the same BIOS. Any comments?

For those of you looking for BIOS updates etc. check Wim's Bios web site at http://www.ping.be/bios/

You'll find there about anything you (n)ever wanted to know about BIOSes.

Cheerio, Max

Andreas

Just as a note, Award has a place that sells BIOS chips, BIOS upgrades, etc. I have never used it, but their phone number is 1-800-800-BIOS. They were a great resource to tech support around Y2K.

If you want some BIOS help and are willing to pay for it, give them a try. I think they will send you a new BIOS chip if you fry your own under their direction.

P.S. They also provide service for Phoenix BIOS' -- Q laptop BIOS.

Joanie

Hey Andreas,

I am so happy to see you here. Do you remember me?? I am Velda's friend Joanie. We have spoken over the phone a nuumber of times when you were with Quantex. She left me in your hands when she left and you were kind enough to send me the CD for LDCM at her request. Both you guys were so great and I hope you are both  employed with a company that appreciates super employees.

I lost contact with her after she got married, could you ask her to contact me. I would love to hear from her.

A  special welcome from me to you Andreas.

Joanie aka RahRah

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Andreas

Hi Joannie!

Thanks for the welcome! I do remember the LDCM days...I still wonder why Fountain chose to use that program. It was a great program, but we never had any formal training on it, which is why tech support  was so dumbfounded whenever a call would come in on it. (Are you grinning?!)

Velda and her husband built a house a few months ago. I know that she was pregnant, but I am not sure if she had her baby. I will try to find her e-mail address and some more information and send it to you.

As for my current employment, well, I am still in computers, but I am on Compaq's team now. I don't do tech support though. I really miss it and this is why I enjoy helping Fountain customers with their problems. Should we put in a bid to buy out Quantex? MT would probably give us a great price!

I look forward to working with you and the other CyberTechnicians! Merry Christmas

-Andreas

Joanie

Hi Andreas,

How well I remember the good old LDCM days too and Yes I am grinning from ear to ear and with fond memories. It was so funny how you techies would go from one to the other when ever a question was posed about LDCM, hoping, somebody would have an answer.

Velda invited me to her wedding but there were major medical problems here at home with my husband and I couldn't make it. That is so cool they were able to build their home and how exciting she is  pregnant.

It is so nice having you around here and we would all be equally as happy to see Velda stop by.

If you could  answer this message in the "Poast Office" room  it would be great.  We need to keep the "PCForum" for you guys with your techy answers.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

Maxie

I have a Quantex QP5/200 SM-3 (MMX) and need to update my AMIBIOS TVX0222D. (because I want to install a Spectra400 AMD-K6-2 400MHz performance upgrade)

Because the last character of the Quantex  BIOS number is a "D" it is specific for Quantex (the Biostar website has a BIOS with the number TVX0222B that I am afraid to use).

The Quantex mother board is a Biostar 8500TVX-A and on the back of the User's manual it is listed as MBD-P5WB. I find that same board MBD-P5WB listed for PIONEX and there is a BIOS update for it on their download page (TVX970325D).

Can I use that same BIOS update for the Quantex as Pionex list for the equally numbered Pionex BIOS?

Thank you for helping me out!

Regards, Max.