• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, December 12, 2000, 17:27 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

You might try moving the network card or sound board to a different PCI slot (remove the driver first, or you'll end up with two entries for the device).  That should help with the IRQ conflict, which could indeed cause problems.

Do you have a PCI modem in the system?  If so, the missing PCI component may be the  wave device for the voice modem, not the sound card at all.

BlueIce

After doing what query suggests i would consider unistall reinstall multimedia throught the windows setup of the add remove programs also uninstall reinstall of the soundblaster drivers

I removed the drive image software from my system the day i got it, not saying those kinds of programs dont work just saying i would rather mess things up on my own

Work like you don't need money,

Love like you've never been hurt,

And dance like no one is watching

RandValentine

Thanks for your comments, guys. I have a question: if this is due to an irq conflict, how could it suddenly appear? Also, how can I determine if I have a pci modem in my computer? Wouldn't there be a modem phone jack on the back if there were a modem installed? Thanks!

BlueIce

Rand

The PCI Multimedia device points to 2 things from my chair the sound card or once upon a time DVD's came with a decoder card and windows would call this a PCI multimedia device

A Question for you did you reinstall your DVD drivers yet or your software cinemaster software?

Work like you don't need money,

Love like you've never been hurt,

And dance like no one is watching

RandValentine

Hi, all. I have a couple of questions for Windows 98/Quantex experts. I bought a Quantex computer in July of 2000 that runs at 733mz, has a 20 gig drive, soundblaster pci 128 audio sound card, (toshiba) dvd, an ethernet card (which i use to connect my cable modem to), a 21" monitor, 192MB of memory, a 250MB zip drive, and Windows 98 se installed. I had never used a Windows computer before (used macs for 16 years though, and cpm before that!), so it has been lots of fun to learn the many intricacies of windows. One of my lifelong problems has been my curiosity, and I find myself constantly unable to resist turning some software switch here or there in the vast labyrinth of Windows stuff just to see what will happen. Usually something bad happens and I spend a day trying to figure out how to get back to the former state. Anyway, my experimentation recently resulted in my having to reinstall the "factory image" using the drive image se program. Now, sadly, this program did not exactly reinstall things as they came from the factory, creating several problems for me. Here's my problem of the day. When I open up System and look at the devices, there is a big yellow question mark next a "PCI multimedia audio device." When I try to "update the driver," I am told that the update "wizard" can't find an appropriate update. But of course it doesn't tell me what the pci device is, so I have no way of knowing how to update it. My computer came with a "hardware driver" cd, and the needed driver is evidently not on there either, as attempts to have the wizard search that disk produce the same negative results. Now I have other problems, probably related to this. For one, my cd player (musicmatch), which used to play beautifully, now wobbles and jitters everytime I open something or do something in another application. Could this be due to irq hassles, since the ethernet and the sound-card seem to share the same irq? If not, what might be the cause? Why did it work before but not now? Is there any way to fix this? The other weird problem I have is that the Multimedia control panel shows multiple copies of the SoundBlaster components, so for example, under the Mixer Devices, there are six lines that say

Mixer for

(i.e., something missing, presumably the phantom pci device), and three lines that say

Mixer for Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI128 WD

Silly me, I've turned off all but one of these, for fear that deleting the other two will cause new problems. Any tips, insights, helps for this perilously close to death curious cat?  Thanks in advance.