• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The new Windows Registration

Started by Whizbang, July 26, 2005, 21:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I just heard a bit of the news on the TV tonight about Microsoft just checking hard drive data to reconfirm authentic installation instead of re-activating every time.  If anyone heard the same report, please contribute.  I am wondering if this will be an improvement or if a bunch of "Scuzzys" will be at my door if I accidentally leave my old dental records on the hard drive.  I guess I could have said that I wonder if this new acclaimed procedure has "teeth" or if it will just "gum" up the works more.  

OK Ace.  I know you are out there lurking in the shadows for a shot at this.

Neon

You are probably thinking about this: Microsoft

QuoteOn their first visit to the Microsoft Download Center, Windows Update or Microsoft Update, customers will be asked to participate in WGA. They will be prompted to download an ActiveX? control that checks the authenticity of their Windows software and, if Windows is validated, stores a special download key on the PC for future verification.

So, you must validate your copy of Windows every time you visit Windows Update, or else no soup for you!
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Whizbang

Quote from: Neon on July 27, 2005, 08:18 hrs
You are probably thinking about this: Microsoft

QuoteOn their first visit to the Microsoft Download Center, Windows Update or Microsoft Update, customers will be asked to participate in WGA. They will be prompted to download an ActiveX? control that checks the authenticity of their Windows software and, if Windows is validated, stores a special download key on the PC for future verification.

So, you must validate your copy of Windows every time you visit Windows Update, or else no soup for you!
Yes, that is the item, but the expanded information on this was that Microsoft would no longer  require activation of the OS, only authentication of genuine article when updating.  However, after some thought I see little difference, since the potential for the "hanging noose" is still there.  I have yet to see anything that Microsoft has created that is customer appreciatiom friendly.  I am a strong believer that Microsoft is much more concerned about piling up its assets than improving public relations.  Any company that rests its credibility on protecting an OS (XP) that has less than a 10% market penetration needs to find out how to expand its base, not handcuff it.

Chandler

It's just yet another way to **** Windows users off.  Take for example my laptop; it's using a legitimate copy of Windows XP Home Edition.  I go to Windows Update (using Microsoft's Internet Explorer) and it tells me I need to validate.  Fine, no problem.  So I proceed and it fails with "Your browser doesn't support ActiveX".  Excuse me, but you've forced me to use your crappy browser and now you're telling me that it doesn't work.  So, I load up the alternative method, which simply opens another IE window and validates, but then chooses to launch Firefox.  Good one Microsoft, where do I go now?  Luckily when I closed and reopened Windows Update it worked, but why should I have to **** around like this?

It's bad enough that I have to leave the Automatic Updates and BITS services running all the time if I want to use Windows Update.  In fact it's bad enough that we have activation in the first place - it's hardly been effective.

I for one am getting increasingly tired of Microsoft.  There are serious bugs in MCE2005 which haven't been fixed one year on, and still won't be fixed in the upcoming roll-up update.  This is despite it being reported to them by beta testers and their partners and despite a lot of people having the problem (in fact, all UK users, and it's not a small MCE problem, it effectively means that scheduled recordings will be lost - not good for WAF (wife acceptance factor)).

Bill

"Good one Microsoft, where do I go now?  Luckily when I closed and reopened Windows Update it worked, but ...."

See, MIcrosoft really does care about you.  Reopening Windows Update could have invalidated your earlier effort.   The answer to your question though, "why should I have to...." is because they can force you to do it their way.  Monopolies tend to make the rules to favor themselves.  One of the advantages of being  monopoly.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit