• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

MSI's Slick Updating Process

Started by Whizbang, August 17, 2005, 15:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

I really sweat (perspire to you Yankees) flashing a BIOS.  I always approach it with the trepidation of deactivating an instrument of mass destruction.  I emailed MSI about the BIOS problem on this board that about half the time would post the drive identification before posting the message that says that IDE drives were being detected.  The effect is a bit like mounting a horse before the horse is there.  Like the rider, the computer would end up hanging on the "post."  I received an email in short order that had a BIOS update.  I methodically read the instructions and acted acordingly only to find that the executable file had already been "executed" before it arrived and was dead.

I then set the MSI Live Update program to turn on in one minute from the time I closed the program and checked for any available BIOS help.  Unfortunately, the BIOS I have installed was the latest on the "rack" at MSI.  Out of dangerous curiosity. I clicked on the link to the online BIOS and immediately received the reply that the BIOS had been reset and optimized.  I am still lingering in bewildered disbelief, but I have had no problems since.  Given my knack of finding a can of worms in any situation, I continue to be skeptical but also may very well be highly commendatory if MSI really is that good at solving problems on the fly, or on the post.