• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

All function External Combo Drives

Started by Whizbang, February 05, 2004, 17:21 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

One good thing about EBay (and there are many as well as some disadvanatages) is that many online dealers present their products there because of the reputation of Ebay (usually spelled eBay) as having heavy traffic, ease of presentation, and ease of sale.  Recently, I purchased an all-function combo drive that so far is one of the best purchases I have made for my computers anywhere.  

NEC External Drive  

The added feature to this IDE ATAPI drive is that it was sent packed in an external enclosure that is hot swapable via USB port.  The drive is very quiet with heavier casing than most (I always wonder if the occasional bump that I give my drives when removing a disk will send the carriage off in a hundred pieces.)  I have yet to use the DVD burning feature because of my paranoia in getting a short stack of very expensive coasters, and I am also waiting for my new Maxtor HD to come so I can reinstall XP on it before registering it with Microsoft.  Then I will get all my "stuff" together and burn some backups.

The external drive is very convenient for me because of the way I have my computers arranged (pics later  ;D).  I have the drive sitting on top of my older system below the desk in the tower bay.  My "new" system (some used parts) with the blue case fan light and clear side panel sits on the desk just above it.  That way, I can just deactivate the USB connection, remove the USB plug, and switch the drive from one computer to the other with no fanfare.

The drive far exceeds search capability of the bland 36X CD reader (a used and not very good purchase from EBay, er, eBay, whatever.    It also can serve as a bootup device with the Award BIOS.  Now that I have taken the drive for a spin (is that "punny"?), I may go another step and get another case for hotswap hard drive storage.

The case, CD-509-U2 is not designed for continual drive removal; it is rather time consuming to remove and replace a drive because of very tight tolerances and the fact that it is the inevitable plastic (metal not a good idea for tight-fitting electronics).  I do appreciate the snug fit; it really makes it attractive.  Complete unit comes with a hefty external power source, USB cable (also robust) several installation CDs including Nero, USB support drive, and Cyberlink's XP DVD player package.

One word of caution; Do not unplug the USB cord without deactivating drive from computer USB device selection.  (Icon appears in the taskbar tray).  You likely will get an unceremonious reboot, a possibly damaged OS installation and a host of *cooties that you thought you left behind in Junior High School.  (No, I did not say "cuties."  

All said, I have been completely impressed.

* The computer did reboot, but I am still looking over my shoulder for the cooties.  Uh, oh.  Here comes the cat.  (sigh)