• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

windows xp set up problem

Started by faizan, January 31, 2009, 05:55 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

faizan

hi guys can anyone please help me, the thing is i want to start a new installation of windows xp, now i have configured the settings in bios so it boots from my 'cd' rom, how ever it does begin to boot from cd, but then the problem is instead of going in to the setup blue screen it just continues to load in to windows as normal, i have tried lots of times to initiate set up but still the same problem, so therefore i cant format and set up a fresh installation of windows, someone please help me, thanks

pat

Is this a Microsoft disk or one of the restore type disks that you get from dell, Hp, etc?

Do you see a message to "Press any Key to boot from CD" ?

Welcome to poasters.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

faizan

ITS THE WINDOWS XP CD, AND I DO GET THE MESSAGE TP PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE, WHEN I DO THIS INSTEAD OF GOING IN TO THE SET UP SCREEN IT JUST CONTINUES TO LOAD IN TO WINDOWS AS NORMAL, OH SORRY BOUT THE CAPITALS

faizan

thats what i do. i press any key immediatly as i know the message stay only for a short time, i dont undastand, i dont have any other disk or cd, ive always just used the cd as it did everything anyway, ive also made sure that the boot sequence is 'cd' first and aslo ive tried by pressing f11 to manually boot from the cd.

halokid

Is your Keyboard usb?
Some times a usb keyboard will not power correctly during start and a little past post...

what you may need to do is use a ps2 port keyboard or.... if you can  get into thew bios make sure the setting for  usb keyboard is on.
There are 1 or 2 settings for usb  keyboards i believe.
1. Use usb keyboard to power up computer
and/or
2. power up usb key board thingy..( i forget exactly)

if there is only one then do it  but two maybe do both...... then try to press any key to boot again ... and tell us  how it goes.

Bill

If that turns out to be the problem, there is a very inexpensive adapter for USB to PS2 which would solve the problem.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

The adapter does not work on all keyboards. I have that problem with a USB Logitech keyboard that absolutely will not work with the PS2 adapter on any computer.

Scuzzy; I don't work all that well myself.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Chandler

Check in your BIOS for USB Legacy Support or USB Legacy Keyboard.

Also, connect directly to a USB port on the PC and not through a USB hub.  Disconnect any other USB devices if problems persist.

Afraz01

Hey
Good tip
You should connect directly to a USB port on the PC and not through a USB hub.  Disconnect any other USB devices if problems persist.