• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

UK and US batteries?

Started by Z3R-0, October 19, 2003, 11:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Z3R-0

Hey people...

I was recently thinking of purchasing a laptop from the US since they're cheaper and of a higher quality than over here in the UK...

Then i came to the problem of power supplies... Is it possible to put a UK battery into a US laptop?? I mean, i can always use a power converter with the original US battery pack.... but it's a bit of hassle... especially when i'm at college and i need power quick.

I thought that all the components ran on the same power which would mean that the battery/power supply would convert the local power wattage/voltage to a universal level that the equipment would work at...

That would mean i would be able to remove the US battery from the US laptop and replace it with a UK battery usnig UK power supply???

I hope what i said made sence :S
I'm really confused and dont know how to explain my problem :(

Thanks to anyone who responds ! :)
It's greatly appreciated!!

Chandler

Hello and welcome to Poasters!

I think that US batteries should work in a UK battery since notebook computers run off DC power, provided by an adapter.

Z3R-0

Fast reply! :)
Thanks for the welcome :)

Yea thats what i thought. The adapter converts the power to a universal level which all computer chips world wide runs off. So if i changed the battery and the adapter the power level "should" still be the same.

Thanks for the info buddy! It's appreciated! :)

Z3R-0

I just got info off a friend on msn... and he said that i would still have to use the US battery but just change the adapter???

He said that changing the US battery aswel as using a UK adapter wouldnt work...
eek im confused :(

Chandler

If you use a US adapter in the UK it will burn out.

Z3R-0

Eek.. Thats not good :(
If i used a UK adapter but kept the US battery would that work or just burn out too???