• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Upgrading processor

Started by escapee, September 14, 2002, 11:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

escapee

Hi folks

I am thinking of attempting to upgrade my clevo 3300c notebook processor from a P466 celeron to a P700 celeron (maximum the manual says it can be upgraded to) i am aware its not just plug and play like ram so what other factors should i take into consideration before attempting this.  Oh and the manual says i need a special screwdriver only obtainable from the manufacturer?

thanks in advance

Lee aka escapee

Chandler

There is a huge speed increase from a 466MHz to a 700MHz and that also means much more heat.

In a cramped notebook case this can be a problem, if the fan isn't designed for the faster speeds.  Add to that the fact that most notebook coolers are proprietary you might have trouble finding a better one.

dcsun

In addition to what Chandler mentioned, make sure you can get that special screwdriver (or something else that will work) before you buy the chip.  Also, make sure the new one is the same type and configuration as the old one.  This certainly isn't impossible, but not exactly simple either, so you may want to consider having it done professionally.

Dave

query

Two other things to consider - as many form factors as Intel has produced for desktop processors (socket 370 PPGA, socket 370 FC-PGA, Slot1, Socket 423, Socket 478, etc.) it has produced even more of them for mobile processors - there are a host of different types (MMC, MMC-2, BGA, micro-BGA, PPGA, etc) and they're all mutually incompatible with each other - make sure you get the correct type, as the Celerons have been produced in several formats.

The other issue is with the bus speed - the 466 Celeron uses 66;  the 700, 100.  That may cause a problem if there are multiple revisions of the mainboard - some Dell Latitude and Inspirons, built by Compal and Quanta, are upgradeable, while others are not - it depends on the revision, something the model number may not tell you.

Finally, make sure you have PC100 RAM - it's not needed for the Celeron 466, but it is for the 700 - and your manufacturer may not have shipped the faster RAM with the system initially.

escapee

THANKS! ;D

After reading your posts i realise it isnt as easy as it may sound so i think for the safety of my laptop that i will stick with the 466 celeron, i do appreciate the feedback thanks again.

Lee aka escapee

Norm

Don't give up that easily!  There is an exellent article from Tom's Hardware House that explains mobile CPU's and the possible upgrade paths.

I upgraded from an MMC-2 PII 300 MHz to a PII 400 MHz (maximum allowable by the BIOS), increased the RAM from 128 MB to 576 MB and changed the HD from 6 GB to 20 GB.  All these upgrades made a significant improvement to Win XP.  This is the link:
 http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001107/mobilecpu-21.html

HTH!  :)

John

Here is an interesting article from REWilson written on a Dell Forum.  I am poasting the article in full as I lost the link.

I think I've finally finished upgrading my Inspiron 7000. Just put in a 800MHz speedstep (runs at 650 MHz, but with a 100MHz FSB). Worked first time. To add to the database of working upgrades, the PTC is PMM80002201AA. To help with the MB identification, my system was originally a 300MHz PII (66MHz FSB). Both the labelling under the CPU and in the memory compartment indicated a A01 MB (see earlier threads).

System is real nice now. 650MHz P3, 512MB RAM, 5400 rpm HD. Also picked up a CD/RW-floppy module and a 2nd HD module.

Now, if I can only get the 60GB HD to boot in the primary position I'll be all set. I have a 32GB drive as primary that boots fine. I used Partition Magic to copy all partitions to a 60GB drive in the secondary position (the left module bay). This is the same procedure I used to copy my system from my old 4200 rpm drive to the 32GB originally (original in the primary location and the 32GB in the left module).

I can boot from the system partition on the 60GB drive, as long as it is in the left module and the 32GB drive is in the primary spot. However, if I remove the 32GB drive and replace it with the 60GB drive, the system will start to boot, but hang while loading windows. It gets far enough to tell me that it CAN read from the drive.

Oh well, something to work on later this weekend.

--Bob
Cogito Ergo Sum

escapee

Hi again

thank you all for your input it was much more than i expected, i have owned a pc now for several years and my laptop for a couple of months, although i have made a few upgrades to my pc this has only been light things like upgrading ram and installing pci cards etc, i recently installed more ram in my laptop which was quite easier than installing ram in my pc, though reading the above regarding bios settings jumper settings etc it might as well have been written in chinese lol i find this is way out of my league, i would love to be able to understand more about computers but i guess i will always stay a novice because i am too afraid to try incase i mess things up, so i think i will stick with a working slightly slower laptop than a non working possibly faster one, but i do find your posts very interesting and hope the days of true plug and play like installing ram etc come around very soon!!