• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

TS30I Internal Power Supply?

Started by JimHubbardphx, August 19, 2002, 07:52 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JimHubbardphx

My Quantex 30I will not charge or operate on external power.  (My last battery is now dead with no way to charge and no way to operate the computer!)  Have used 2 different power adapters and have verified power adapter is providing 19v output.  I have opened the case enough to verify that the DC plug is not loose/bad connection.
Is there an internal fuse, or internal power supply that can be replaced?  Are parts available?   As last resort, is there such a thing as a stand alone battery charger for the BAT-30IL battery?
Thanks in advance!
jh

dcsun

Welcome to Poasters!

I'm not familiar with that model, but there are others here who probably are.  PortableComputer.com repairs some of those laptops, so you may want to contact them and see if they can answer a few of your questions.

Dave

JimHubbardphx

Oops.. Model is TS30I...
Thanks,
jh

John

JimHubbardphx, welcome to Poasters Forum.  I want to make sure I understand the question correctly.  Your notebook battery is dead and the AC adapter does not work.  If this is correct you can purchase both at Portablecomputer Or if you desire you can contact them and they can offer to service your notebook.  Contact Wesley or John and tell them you are a member of Poasters Forums.  The model of the AC Adapter is made by Acbel Polytech Inc. model # API-7629  the battery model which is 14.4 volt 4500mAh can also be a Dell # 2941E.   Good luck,
Cogito Ergo Sum

JimHubbardphx

Sorry for the confusion...  The AC adapter is working correctly (have tried more than one and have checked output via DMM), but the laptop does not work with ANY AC adapter connected nor will the battery charge.  A charged battery will operate the laptop, but once discharged, the laptop will not charge the battery.

John

JimHubbardphx,  Follow these instructiions and let us know what happens. Take out the battery. Plug in the AC adapter to the outlet and check for the green light on the ac/dc adapter, if any. Then check for the AC light on the front of the laptop. If any light exists, turn on the laptop.

If no light exists in either the ac/dc adapter or the laptop after plugging in the AC adapter  then either your DC controller is bad (change the motherboard) or you have a bad ac/dc adapter (change the ac adapter).

I am leaning towards a bad motherboard since your battery wouldn't charge anymore, however it could be something else.  My advice is to contact Wesley or John at Portablecomputer
Cogito Ergo Sum

JimHubbardphx

Plugged in AC/DC adapter to 115vac.  Light on AC/DC adapter lights.  Connected AC/DC adapter to laptop with no battery installed.  No LEDs lit on laptop, light on AC/DC adapter still on.  Pressing power button on laptop has no effect.
I have sent a request for service to PortableComputer, but was hoping it might be something relatively simple and user repairable (if there is such a thing on a laptop!).  If DC controller is integral to motherboard, it sounds like I might be looking at a motherboard change...?

John

JimHubbardphx, I could be wrong in my diagnosis but I don't think so.  Althugh they may be able to repair it rather than installing a new mobo. Was the other AC adapter the same one supplied to you by Quantex.  In other words were the AC adapters the same from the same company.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

JimHubbardphx

No, the second adapter is a Lind Electronics, 12vdc auto adapter.  

I really appreicate your help and experience.  After Quantex went out of business, one really feels helpless once things start to go wrong.  This forum is a real godsend for those of us trying to keep our investments viable.

John

JimHubbardphx, that was the original reason behind Poasters Forums.  Now we exist to help all computer owners no matter what the make or model.  Our goal is people helping people. I hope I am not insulting you when I ask that when you plugged in the AC adapter there was not a green light on the front of the laptop case located between the drivebays.  Also you said that the AC adapter is putting out 19 volts is that the Quatnex supplied adapter you are speaking of.  If no power on notebook then contact a local computer support company that services laptops or contact www.portablecomputer.com   Good luck,
Cogito Ergo Sum

Sliderule

I am responding to you on my TS30I.  I have the Service Manual right in front of me (same as the Dell Inspiron 7000).  There is DC-DC Board.  You can get this an other parts from MCE, http://www.portablecomputer.com/support/quantex/upgrade.asp

You can also finds parts on eBay, search for Inspiron 7000.
No Smoke, No Glory!
HP Pavilion 8396, PII-450MHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Multi-Boot:  Win2kPro, Win98SE, Win2k3-Enterprise

JimHubbardphx

Thanks for the info...  It seems that portablecomputers.com is a common thread here.  Where did you obtain your service manual.  I might cosider replacing the DC-DC board myself if I had the guidance the SM would probably provide...

Thanks again,

jh

Sliderule

You can download all the Inspiron 7000 Manuals from Dell.  The Inspiron 7000 is a TS30I with a different BIOS.  Try here for the Service Manual:  http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pcyc/6086c.pdf
No Smoke, No Glory!
HP Pavilion 8396, PII-450MHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Multi-Boot:  Win2kPro, Win98SE, Win2k3-Enterprise

scuzzy

BTW: Sliderule - welcome back. Some of us did notice your absense.  ;)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Sliderule

That's nice of you to say!  No more dial-up for me; I have cable modem now!   With Win2kPro and 290MB RAM and 18GB HDD, I see no need for a new computer, even though my TS30I (333MHz) is 3 years old now.

I just did a fairly major upgrade to my TS30i, I replaced the CDROM in the combo drive bay with a CD-R/RW (Panasonic UJDA330, 8x/4x/24x), brand new surplus for $65.
No Smoke, No Glory!

JimHubbardphx

Thank you so much for all of your help!
You have all been awsome in your responses and sharing of information.

My sincere kudos to all who have replied and this forum in general.

jh

Junk-to-Gold

I had the exact same problem with my Quantex. It turned out to be the AC adapter plug. It is soldered directly to the mother board, and the solder joints break over time. Be careful fixing it, becouse so much pressure is put on the through hole pads they might pull completely out of the mother board. (Mine did) Also, check the power mosfet chips (Nds8435a) on the voltage regulator board, i have had one of those burn up. The board is located under the keyboard in the center of the laptop, just to the left of the processor