• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ts30t not booting

Started by obiwan, July 25, 2002, 12:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

obiwan

ts30t, 98se, has drive image with factory settings. while using it, I heard what sounded like clicking noises from the hard drive. I powered off, it did not do so completely so I manually powered off.

on reboot error message: windows detected registry/configuration error, run scan reg which I let it do but it does not go anywhere.

powered off and then tried booting in safe mode, still cycling and I can hear the same faint clicking hard drive sounds.

Help :'(

John

Obiwan, it sounds as iff the it is a bad hard drive.  See if you can start using a boot disk.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

portablecomputer.com

I will second that last post. The hard drive is close to just complete failure. I would make an immediate back up of important files if possible.
Wesley Forrester
PORTABLECOMPUTER.COM

================================

obiwan

well I made copies of all files that have data that I could thru DOS. issues
1- should I try to restore windows thorough the bootup disk?
2- for future reference, if I can only work from DOS, how would I copy large files to say a zip drive or cdrw?
3- should I try drive image to try restoring factory default?

Thanks a bunch

query

If the drive is failing, you can try purchasing an adapter bracket to put the notebook drive in a desktop system, and then copy the files to another drive in that system.  Alternatively, there are notebook drive kits that come with cables and software for doing the same job.

If you have a ZIP drive, it can be used in DOS mode to copy files from the hard drive to it.  CD-RW won't work that way - it won't work from DOS mode.

If you can get the system to boot into Windows, you can also network the PC to a desktop and copy that way.

If the drive is failing, don't restore or rebuild an OS on it - save the data, replace it and then rebuild the system.

Most drive manufacturers provide utilities for scanning the drive for hard (bad sector) errors - but be careful using them, as some will lock a bad drive and render it unusable.

obiwan

well I was able to reinstall windows and the drive has stopped making the clicking noises. I cannot run scandisk on the d partition of the drive where drive image was.

How should I evaluate if I should just go ahead and replace the drive?

Also everything loads and then I get missing msnp32.dll prompt. does seem to affect anything though so far. Tried sfc but did not find anything to replace it

thanks for all the input

John

I would still replace the drive.  Also for reference here is a link for the DLL file issue.  MSKnowledge base.  
Cogito Ergo Sum

obiwan

So to replace the HD, do I remove the battery, yank the old one out and just stick the new one in? Is there anything else to it? any suggestions for where to buy one?

scuzzy

portablecomputer.com will likely have what you need, and more. Make sure you tell them that we sent you, since they often help our members.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

obiwan

I did get a price from mce, but nothing to indicate if I could do it on my own.(and yes I did ask). Does anyone else know if all I need todo is to pull the old one out and pop the new one in?

John

obiwan, I believe that
 Portablecomputer has all the information you need.  I copied this from the manual for your computer.  

Removing and Installing HDD Modules
Eventually you may find that your Notebook is running out of HDD space.  The HDD module provides you with additional hard disk space.  The installation of additional HDD modules is relatively simple.  Please refer to Figure 6-8  and the following directions.
1.   Turn off the Notebook and disconnect the AC cord and any connected peripherals.
2.   Locate the HDD module.  Remove the screw and slide the module in the direction of the arrows.
3.   The are a total of eight screws securing the module cover to the module housing and two screws securing the housing to the hard drive. Remove all ten screws.  Now remove the module cover in the direction of the arrow.
4.   Gently pull out the HDD unit from its housing in the direction of the arrow.
5.   Store your HDD module in a safe, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat.  

Cogito Ergo Sum