• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

need help

Started by QuikSilver, October 29, 2003, 19:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

QuikSilver

hi guys, I wasnt to sure where to post this but anyways, a full months ago when I had my PC made for me I went the cheap way and I had Windows XP installed, but is was a cracked version, so now my computer is just useless, so I have the real license copy and I need to know how to install this copy, I have NO idea on where to start and what to do, if anyone can help me step by step to perform this operation that would be great or if anyone is located in Toronto and knows of a store inwhich i can go and have the operation done for me that would also help me out. thank you for giving any help.

siamakp@rogers.com for any questions, thanks again

query

Since you have no way of knowing what else is wrong with the installed version, back up your data, insert the legitimate CD, boot from it and do a clean installation of Windows (format the drive).

DO NOT CONNECT THE SYSTEM to the internet until you have applied SP1 and patched for the RPC holes (Blaster and the subsequent patch -- the second one will take care of both problems).

QuikSilver

So all I do is put in the Windows XP cd and just start loading them up, it is not neccesary for me to go to Doss or anyhting like that, or do I first format the harddrive then load XP?

Whizbang

XP installation CD should prompt you about formatting and whether you want to use FAT32 or NTFS file system.  NTFS is the most efficient filing system.  You can start installation from Windows and receive prompt to restart computer.  Sometimes that is easier because path is set for you.

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64