• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Orphaned" Presario S6000T

Started by atsmob2112, June 12, 2005, 22:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

atsmob2112

So I started talking about how my new hobby is building computers and sure enough I?ve already got a few ?orphaned? machines sitting in my front room. People want me to look at them and see if I can get them running again.

My question is about a new mobo for a Compaq Presario S6000T

The owner has been told that it was the mobo that failed and wants me to put a new on in for her if I can do it for less than $200.

I want to make sure I get a compatible mobo replacement and that is where I need help.

System specs are:
Compaq Presario S6000T
512 DDR PC3200
80 GB UDMA hard drive
2.8 GHz HT P4
64 MB NVIDIA GeForce MX 440

the rest is pretty generic optical drives and floppy drive.
Any advise would be good
Thanks

slaxorz

Any socket 478 motherboard such as this
there are only a couple of other things you might want to consider such as the power supply.  You want to make sure that it is not a proprietary design that will only work with the fried motherboard.  If you are unsure you might wanna just buy a power supply with the new motherboard which would surely still keep you under the $200 budget that has been alotted.  Aswell as the psu you will want to consider the size of the case.  You need to see if it can support normal atx or mini atx or both and then make a purchase according to that.

query

For $200, you'd be better off scrapping the case, power supply and mainboard and buying standard parts, and moving everything else over.  

Bear in mind that if you're relying on the Compaq-issue OS, it won't install (ME, 2K) or will require activation (XP), which Microsoft may not allow, once you scrap the Compaq BIOS.

atsmob2112

If Microsoft will not allow activation will she need to buy a new copy of XP and reinstall it? If that is the case will any of her data be lost or inaccessible?
Thanks for the help.

pat

Best bet would be to remove the drive and set it as a slave and put it in a working system and copy all the data you want saved. Then put it on some type of removable media.

Afterwards you can set the drive back to master and put it back in the system. If you end up putting in a new motherboard, I?d recommend a format of the drive and a clean install of the OS and reinstall all the programs.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

atsmob2112

freelance

Quote from: atsmob2112 on June 13, 2005, 15:32 hrs
If Microsoft will not allow activation will she need to buy a new copy of XP and reinstall it? If that is the case will any of her data be lost or inaccessible?
Thanks for the help.

you can just buy the cd key, then activate it with the new one
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Carskick

Bear in mind the motherboard is likely riveted into the case as is the case with th HPs I have seen. As the others have said, a new case, power supply, motherboard, and Windows copy will keep the system in optimal condition. You may also need a new CPU heat sink/fan setup, as they sometimes use propietory setups. Here are some examples from Newegg:

case and PSU

motherboard

Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick