• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer

Started by mbaldw, April 11, 2004, 12:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaldw

Hi,

I'm using Outlook Express 6 as my default mail client and I use Opera and Internet Explorer 6 as my browsers under Windows XP Home.   Until recently, clicking an "e-mail me" link (i.e. mailto:someone@somewhere.com) in Internet Explorer would open a new OE message box with the e-mail address already added.   Now, clicking the link opens Opera's "Create an e-mail account option".   I have checked my IE Internet Options and it says that Outlook Express is set as my default mail client.   Any idea how I can rectify the situation?

Cheers,
Marc.

saoirse

Have a look at your Mailto class in the registry.

Start -> Run - > type regedit and click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto

\Shell\Open\Command and DefaultIcon's data should read a path to Outlook Express.  

What's listed here?

saoirse

mbaldw

Hi saoirse,

The mailto class was set to Opera - I've changed it and clicking a mailto link now opens OE.   However, I now get a message in Internet Explorer saying that it can't perform the requested action because the default mail client is not installed correctly.   It was working a few days ago and nothing has changed since then (to my knowledge - OE still opens, checks and sends e-mails as normal).   Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
Marc.

saoirse

Try the data below.  Include the quotation marks, when defining an absolute path containing a switch.    

For \Shell\Open\Command
"%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /mailurl:%1

For DefaultIcon
%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe,-2

saoirse

mbaldw

saoirse

I wonder if another Outlook Express user, could poast their registry data here?  

It should look fairly similar.  

Meantime, you could try:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /mailurl:%1

and

C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe,-2

saoirse

mbaldw

Intriguingly, the last resolution you suggested still brings up the message saying that it can't perform the action because OE isn't installed correctly, but at the same time it opens the new message window and sends normally.   Although the error message is a minor irritation, it seems to work!

Thanks very much for the help :)
Cheers,
Marc.

----------------------------------------------
Marc Baldwin