• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

EMERGENCY!!! PLEASE HELP

Started by ahopeter, March 27, 2004, 01:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i receive a message everytime i open explorer.

AVG RESIDENT SHIELD

Virus
Virus found JS/Psyme

is found in file

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YH83UHQ5\secure[1].php

To remove this virus, please run AVG for Windows

OK
----------------------------------------------------------------

what should i do!?! AVG is not working... trying PAnda Scan as i am writing.
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

Close IE, and go in and dump your temporary internet content (delete the entire contents of that folder).

ahopeter

you think that is enough to get rid of this problem? no, anti virus needed for the situation? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

ahopeter

i deleted  temp. files... updated AVG and ran test, used Panda scan...and everything detects nothing.  i guess i am in the clear now? thanks

query

Sounds like it - and keep your antivirus running in real time so the problem doesn't arise again.

ahopeter

how do i keep it "running in realtime"? thanks again

query

Keep it up to date and in whatever mode your vendor calls real-time scanning (i.e., never shut it down).

ahopeter

Whizbang

Unless you really need the Temporary Internet Files, I would set the option to clear them out after IE is closed.  They can really be a pain for several reasons, including keeping viruses, loading down the hard drive, storing out-of-date pages, making defragging  longer, and preventing copying partition when long URLs are present.

ahopeter

i would love to, but the only reason i dont is because i get emial notification when i get replies to forum postings which is really convenient. there is no way to clear temp files and keep this feature right?  maybe ill do it anyway, thanks for letting e know about the feature!

johnamazing

I clear the files 18 times a day and always get those emails you referred to.  Go for it!
ja

Mark H

Quote from: ahopeter on March 28, 2004, 12:40 hrs
i would love to, but the only reason i dont is because i get emial notification when i get replies to forum postings which is really convenient. there is no way to clear temp files and keep this feature right?  maybe ill do it anyway, thanks for letting e know about the feature!

The information is kept on the Poasters server, not your PC. As a result, you can delete the temporary internet files and even cookies and still get the emails from poasters. The only thing about deleting the Poaster's cookie is that you will need to log in the next time you come to poasters if you delete it.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ahopeter

The information is kept on the Poasters server, not your PC. As a result, you can delete the temporary internet files and even cookies and still get the emails from poasters. The only thing about deleting the Poaster's cookie is that you will need to log in the next time you come to poasters if you delete it.

Mark H

REALLY!!! good to know, thanks..then i am definitely gonna do it.  learn something new everyday!

ahopeter

i am trying to place the feature of emptying temp files on closing ie... went to tools, internet options, advanced, clicked "empty internet temporary files when browser is closed"... than clicked apply.  but temp files are still there? what did i do wrong, thanks.

johnamazing

3 approaches.

1. verify that IE setting is the way you made it.
2. re-boot and check setting and files status again.
3. manually delete them by going to my computer/ C/ documents and settings/ tools/ folder options/ show hidden files.
   Then in documents and settings/ your identity/ local settings, you can empty the two folders there called temp and temporary internet files.

The temp folder there gets quite a stash of files unless you manually clean it.  Norton utilities don't get into that one.
Put a shortcut to it on your desktop to clean it often, if you wish.

JA

ahopeter

thanks for the advice, i did the process through IE's tools option. and i rebooted but it still didnt erase the temp files.

then i did as you said and went to documents and settings than chose owner... and erase those, but there is also an option for default user next to the owner option... should i erase those temp files as well?
inside that one there is a folder labeled "content.IE5"?  thanks again for the help!

johnamazing

Don't delete the other folders you referred to.  They are the default system folders the machine puts there for later possible use.

You can delete the temp internet files manually or get Norton Utilities to assist the cleaning process.

I don't have a clue why IE is not following your commands.  
You might wish to run the OS CD in repair mode to see if it will recover that ability to empty temp internet files on exit.

Amazing Out

bill macdonald

You can also try a repair of IE.  
Contol Panel>add/remove cliking on IE should present an option to repair it.
bill

johnamazing

I get a dummy award.

I hit change/remove and it un-installed the version or update
of IE that was there. I still have IE, even 128 bit encryption, but I will get to Microsoft's IE update site to get back that update.
(It had a long number on it.)

Maybe downloading a new IE and updates will repair your problem.
That is better than my advice to use the OS disk. The OS might have a very old version of IE.

Off to see Microsoft.
ja

ahopeter

bill macdonald, i tried that but i do not see a repair option?!

mr. amazing, where can i get norton?

where can i get a new ie and updates?  what is the newest version out?

thanks again...i appreciate the attempt at helping a novice!

johnamazing

www.norton.com

Best Buy, etc has the boxed Norton products in the USA.
If you don't want their firewall and anti-virus, get a package w/o them so you don't have to work around (defeat) the subscription/update feature.

Windows updates site will scan your computer and offer any updates that are available, including IE. You mentioned you have a new Dell, if memory serves.  Try start/ windows update (it is on the very top of the stack usually.)

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp/default.asp

IE6 is the latest.

Mr. Amazing

ahopeter

good memory! i tried the windows update just now, and no critical updates or ie updates. looks like i am back to square zero.

i am gonna get norton, thanks for the recommendation.

johnamazing

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.asp

You might wish to download a clean copy IE 6 SP1 at this address.
After it downloads and installs, re-boot and see what up.

Go in and set IE to empty temp Internet files on exit.

Make any sense? The one you have seems to be corrupted.

ja

ahopeter

but if i do this i have to remake my fav's...and get popup blocker again and everything else i have done to "Customize" my net right?

if i just leave it, and it is corrupt am i gonna have other issues, or just this not being able to autoerase? thanks mr. amazing

johnamazing

hmmmmmmmmm...

You can export faves on a floppy, then import.

Pop up blockers are not normally part of IE.

Check "empty temp internet files upon exit", as we said.

All else should be the same, but the bucket in question should empty!

mizzamazin

ahopeter