• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Mcafee

Started by ahopeter, December 14, 2003, 22:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i have the trial of mcafee, but im looking into getting some kind of antivirus program, any suggestions?  how is the sponsor for FREE antivirus? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Whizbang

I have tried installing McAfee twice and crashed my computer.  Others use it with good results.  The only free antivirus I have tried that I can recommend is AVG .  It worked great on my system and caught every virus for about 3 months.  I then upgraded to the PRO version as a show of gratitude.  Free version has automatic updates also.  I use Zone Alarm free firewall with excellent results.  Trend Micro at the left side of the screen here has both an antivirus and firewall combined in the PC-Cillin program.  You really cannot afford not to have both antivirus and a firewall.  Hacking has become much too insidious to do without either.

ahopeter

cool, so AVG for antivirus and Zone Alarm for firewall...right?  
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

frenchie47

I use McAfee Personal Firewall which I think is great. I also have NOD32 as an anti-virus, and although it is a 'pay for' product, I consider it well worth the money for peace of mind

ahopeter

what exactly is firewall?

pat

Basically a firewall is either a software program or a hardware device or a combination of both that keeps intruders out of your system. They can also block other programs on your system from accessing the internet.
If you do not have a firewall installed, do consider getting one.
The free version from Zonelabs (Zonealarm) should be good for most home users.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
Windows XP comes with a basic firewall preinstalled. If you install Zonealarm make sure to turn off the XP one.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

ahopeter

I have XP, in your pro opinion what do you think i should do...keep xp's basic or get the Zone Lab?

Mark H

Get Zone Alarm. XP's built in firewall is not nearly as good a third party solution.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

ahopeter

Thanks...how do i shut down xp's factory firewall?

Mark H

1. Open the "Control Panel"
2. Open "Network Connections"
3. Right click on your connection and select "properties"
4. Select the "advanced" tab
5. Uncheck the check box beside the firewall entry

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

1st Download Zonealarm, don?t install yet.
2nd Disconnect from the internet.
3rd Click  Start, Network Connections, Right Click on the Icon of your Internet Service Provider. Choose Properties then the Advanced Tab, Uncheck the box that say?s Internet Connection Firewall.
4th Install Zonealarm, read through the tutorial it is pretty self explanatory on what to expect with the new firewall.

I wouldn?t suggest connecting back to the internet without a firewall installed.
Also, make sure you keep up to date with the Critical Updates from the Windows Update Page.

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

And do not choose default setting on Zone Alarm for program alerts.  Choose the setting to tailor ZA as programs attempt internet access.  

Just for information,  
26,892 internet blocks have been made by my Zone Alarm since installing less than a year ago.  That is approximately one every two minutes of on-line time, and that is spooky.

630 have been high rated, as in vulnerability probes.  That translates to about one hack attempt every 1hour and 20 minutes.

ahopeter

thanks everyone, i really appreciate the great input and feedback.  i'll do it as soon as my dsl is back up and running.  i'm using dial up right now (problem with the dsl equipment verizon sent me) so i dont think it is really that good for downloading programs.  OH! i kept getting this error message evertime i started my computer and after hours of airtime with dell it turned out that it was the free trial of mcafee that dell gave me! i guess mcafee isnt that good afterall.  you think dell should "comp" me something ...lol

pat

Zonealarm is not a large download and it may be better to get it up and running before you connect back up to your "always on" broadband connection.

ahopeter

finally got my dsl running and the first thing i did was install the firewall protection... two questions
1.  i accidentally installed the firewall before disable the xp firewall protection... should ibe worried?
2.  when i went to disable the firewall protection... it was already disabled... should i be really scared!?!

query

No;  the installation probably disabled the XP firewall for you.

ahopeter

whoa, thanks alot... talk about feeling some serious relief.