• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

dial up possible?

Started by ahopeter, July 11, 2004, 01:06 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i have gps units to keep track of my ermployee vehicles.  basically they have their own cell phone number and i dial it from my "tracking dedicated" program.  i use to have dial up service so i could dial straight from my computer...but now i have dsl.  is there any way to get dial up just for this application without having to disconnect dsl everytime to do it? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Igloo

surly, if its just a 56k modem, plugged into your phone line, then you should not have to disable dsl to run it ??? or am i missing something?
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Whizbang

Quote from: Igloo on July 11, 2004, 04:50 hrs
surly, if its just a 56k modem, plugged into your phone line, then you should not have to disable dsl to run it ??? or am i missing something?
Actually, some providers have that option in case of DSL failure with as much as five hours per month alloted for that.  However, there are web-based servers dedicated to telephone connections that would operate fine with a DSL connection.  DialPad is the first one that comes to mind.  I do not know what the costs would be, but there are many others to compete.

Chandler

You should use a filter if you have DSL on your phone line.  This allows you to plug in a DSL modem and a normal phone (or 56K modem) at the same time, and also prevents them from interfering with each other.

Whizbang

Quote from: Chandler on July 11, 2004, 13:46 hrs
You should use a filter if you have DSL on your phone line.  This allows you to plug in a DSL modem and a normal phone (or 56K modem) at the same time, and also prevents them from interfering with each other.
You can buy them for as little as $2.00.  I have one on my phone line to filter out any static from phone input connetion to directv receiver.  Good point.   ;)

ahopeter

im trying to find a way to do it for free.  but i cannot find  a way for my dsl to let me use a regular 56k modem for this operation.  the only thing is to disconnect the dsl then do it?
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Whizbang

You may have a point.  Since your browser is set to LAN, the path would not seem to be a conflict though.  The problem would be that in order to activate dialup, you must configure the Internet options to dialup.  I know of no way to get around that because every dialup checks your Internet settings.  You might be able to pull it off by setting up another computer that bypasses the DSL modem and hooks only to the phone line with dialup only configuration.  Try a signal splitter with a DSL filter on the dialup modem.  Contrary to published warnings, I have used phoneline splitters to two different computers with no signal degradation.  You just cannot use both computers at once on a dialup connection.

ahopeter

thanks for the detailed explanation Whizbang.  i hope something works out.