• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Is The Conficker Worm Scare Legit?

Started by halokid, March 31, 2009, 17:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

halokid

So I'm wondering about this Conficker worm I hear about on the news and I'm not sure what to think of it. It seems people are in a bit of a panic as i have got a couple calls from people concerned. My personal experience with viruses has been minute since i limit my browsing of windows to trusted sites and emails......I wish i had a little better understanding of how viruses/worms get on your computer other than email attachments and executing downloaded programs. so here are a couple of questions regarding vulnerability of a pc

1. with remote desktop and remote registry disabled.. can your computer get a virus with merely being connected to the internet? and what about behind a firewall?

2. I only install through prompts from firefox.. can visiting a site get you a virus even if you dont execute a download/install?

so really it boils down to.... can a virus be sophisticated enough to not have to go through email and execution of programs(active x double clicking etc.) perhaps utilizing buffer overruns or other techniques?

Mark H

A worm can infect your PC just by being connected to the internet. If you have a firewall, that will protect the PC from most requests for access to your system.

If you have a good antivirus program that is kept up to date, you should be OK.

If you Windows is not updating itself or your antivirus software stops updating itself, then it could be a sign of a virus problem.

Most internet sites don't put a virus on your PC unless you click something that installst he virus. It is best to click on site links that you trust only.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Mark H

There is a removal tool for the Conflicker.c worm at Symantec. Scroll down the page to see the removal tool link. If you don't have antivirus, download the free trial versions of their software from the links on the page. You can probably find similar things on other antivirus software sites.

Mark H

halokid

Good input thus far guys! i have run a few anti virus programs and nothing so far has come up.. but i may be visiting that symantec site to run the tool.

Mark H

My Norton Antivirus 2009 looks for the worm according to Symantec.

Mark H

Bill

I just had an email from "Phillip Morris" urging me to sign up for coupons by visiting a site with a promo code.  The first such....

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit