• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

FUNNY BONE CLOSED FOR HOLIDAYS

Started by Ace, December 16, 2004, 19:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

The new dead poast.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Ok, thanks for the award(s) but I have only used that newly coined phrase in reference to one 'people'.  Probably will die a quick and silent death anyway.  Unless of course there is another appropriate opportunity.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

I just wanted to mention the room is closed for new programming for the holidays.  We will be running reruns of blond(e) jokes during the interim.  Please tune in after the New Year when we offer new episodes of your favorite Poaster's shows, including:

News and World Events by Ace that live fast and die young.
Odes to Ace
Odes from Ace
Occasional haikus and funny fotos
Puns
Dirty limericks

as well as:  All New Avatars!  Bigger and Better Typo(e)s!  Smileys by Trav!  Fun For the Whole Family!!  Excess Punctuation!!!

Ace; maybe we can get the carpet cleaned while we're shut down.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Boy, I'm glad you let us know.  I was going to start a new Ode to the departed Elfs or Elves(?).
Guess I'll wait till next year, if we're all still here.

Please be sure to let everyone know when the ribbon cutting for the Grand Re-Opening is scheduled.  I'd prefer my champagne in a glass flute, not the typical plastic stuff used for low budget occasions.

BTW, while the carpet is out, could you repaint the walls? I am partial to black.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

JimS

Blond(e) joke reruns?  Great, I can't wait!  The oldies are the best!
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Ace

C'MON PEOPLE READ THE DANG SIGN DANGIT WHAT PART OF "CLOSED" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??!? THE DANG "CLOSE" OR THE "ED" GEEZ CRIMINY.

How the heck are we gonna get the carpet cleaned with people tracking up poasts all over it.  

Look, I don't do Windows, either.  At least not very well, since 3.1.  As far as painting the dang place, I didn't have any plans for that.  I'm ok with Black walls and even a blacklight.  With some Neon (no, the other Neon) trim.  But for the time being I figured the almost white and blue with Orange trim was suitable for framing.

Now; go on.  Go.  You guys start making a racket people will think we're open, and then Travis will stop by and stretch some dang cheer down the page dotted with smilies or Whiz will loop in from his dang hyperbolic search for meaning or JohnnyOhOh will come in and stick some link in here that's probably down anyway just to make me look.  Admins been known to lock the dang door behind me, just for fun, often enough anyway.  

And, no, the dang militant union-labeled cheery yet stressed out and sarcastic Elfves are back where they belong.  

Ace; I hope Target gets those rain-checked Royal Canadian Mounted Monkies in... I promised them to my nieces.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

-30-

Ace

- 29 -

(I don't know if there's a countdown, or what, so I hope I'm right on that...).

Now, then: J.Oh; it's difficult enough to go chase a link when you don't know where it goes and if you should.  When you entitle it "Here's an obscure link that will attack you with popups and take out your browser window with a BB gun and probably won't clean out your anti-obscure virus spyware firewall product stuff, probably" it makes it just that much harder to jump at the chance.

Now, if you guys are gonna hang around here while I'm cleaning you're going to have to pick up your darn feet while I'm vacuuming...

Ace; - 28 - ?
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I have a better thought:

-86-  (like -30-, only different)

Ace

-85-

Ace; ok, I feel like I'm stuck between Rocky and a hard place.  Between Ludd and J.Oh, I'm the slipped disc.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Listen, if the cost of the paint is not in the budget, take it out of petty cash.

It would seem that some people actually believe signs liked "closed".  Sort of like "out of order" restrooms in the airport.

###

Ace

I guess we could spray it.

Look, I was talking about painting, dangit.  Ludd's right about human behavior, in ignoring the obvious.  I should've expected folks to put their noses to the glass and bang on the door and yell, "Hey!  Are you closed?"

Very few people believe in signs.

Maybe because they're too cryptic, or simple, or nonspecific or not personally directed. Like "-30-" or even "-86-".  Maybe we should try:

We're closed.  We're not open. Don't put your idiot face to the glass and yell "I can't read, and even if I could I'm too stupid to understand or remember what I did."

Slow Down To 30 MPH or We'll Shoot You

If You Can Read This Sign Don't Turn Right On Red.  Yeah, You.

Quit Reading My Bumper Stickers; They're Not For You

Flight Canceled. Maybe. Who Knows.  We Won't Tell You.

Flight On Time; It Will Be Canceled.  Just Wait.

What Part of "Not Open Mondays" Don't You Understand?

Do Not Send Me That Touching TearJerker Hoax ChainLetter Crap You Jerk Or That Bogus "I'm Rich But Need Your Money To Get Richer And Make You Rich Too" Hoax Baloney Or the "Send These Prayers Or Some Nice Thought Or You'll Die" Chainletter or a Virus or Spam or Anything I Would Deem Not Worth My While Or I Will Shoot You.  Then Block Your Idiot Address.  

I Know it Says Welcome But That Really Means Get Off My Dang Porch And Go Away unless I personally invited you.[/i]

Ace; a clock is a sign of the times.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Bill

Ace

Ok; I don't get it.

I know, I know... that will probably be my epigram, on my tombstone:  "He didn't Get it."

I get the 99, and 86.  99 especially. Better than Maxwell talking into his shoe.  And the HAL2001; that's great.  But not -30-.  I could see "86ing" something, but not 30.  Unless it's The Exorcist Performed by Bunnies in 30 seconds.  That would be ok.

Ace; -3- maybe this will hijack it.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

OK.  sorry to be so cryptic... in the spirit of the season....
-30- is an old, maybe even obscure, notation used by journalists to signify the end of a pre-print article, usually to help, editiors, typesetters (when they existed) to know there isn't another page Like writing Page 317 of 317.  It typically appeared as   -30-   or   ##30##.

I used it to signify the end of the Thread, as in "the room is closed."   But then, nobody pays any attention any way, even me.

Ace

Well, of course we didn't get it.  Especially when you kept poasting after the end.  C'mon, we're not mind readers here.  Criminy, you could put us in a hole in the ground and we wouldn't even be mine readers.  And not mime readers; nobody can figure out what those creeps are trying to convey, anyway.

Maybe we could use our own, web-based 21st century cryptographs to signal the "end of poast."  Like:

THIS IS THE END OF THE STUPID POAST
or
POAST OVER HERE. RIGHT HERE.
or
NO MORE POAST. IT'S OVER. NOW.
or
OK. POAST IS DONE.
or
POAST IS TOAST
or
THERE WAS A POAST. NOW THERE'S NOT
or
SHIRT'S ON FIRE - NOW IT'S OUT

wait.  That's something else... Ok; disregard the last one, but I think the other's are ok.

aCE; ENDING THIS POAST RIGHT ABOUT HERE.
Ring bells for service.

Buffalo2102

Nope.  Won't work.  No Siree.

I seem to remember trying that with The Dead Poast.  I distinctly remember saying "It's dead already - stop picking at it".  Or something like that.

Can't get much clearer than that but did it work?  No.  That dang thing went on and on......
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

Well, you've got a point there.  Most Buffalo would have two, so that makes sense.

Funny thing; the Dead Poast seems dead.  Dead as a Marley Doornail.  Pretty Doggone Dang Dead.  

Of course, I expect some miscreant to go in there and resurrect the stupid thing.  It's the way of the world.  Once a sleeping dog lies, someone tries to poke it with a stick.  

Ac;e probably slap smileys all over the dead thing, to cheer it up.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Yeah, sure right.  Seems your invitation will go unanswered.  but you knew that....
Guess here will have to do...

:P
Not as much fun when some posts just disappear, others get locked and people feel they have to carefully joke about the cops being "in the building"

See ya Ace.

Ace

No reason to lock an empty building...

Hello one and all
Was it you I used to know
Can't you hear me call
On this old ham radio
All I got to say
I'm alive and feeling fine
If you come my way
You can share my poison wine

No marigolds in the promised land
There's a hole in the ground
Where they used to grow
Any man left on the Rio Grande
Is the king of the world
As far as I know

Ace; new epitaph: "It Was Fun, While It Lasted"

Ring bells for service.

trav

Quote from: Ace on December 16, 2004, 19:57 hrs

BEST IMPERSONATION OF A FLOWER BULB

Travis Freedomsomething, of Canada

BEST ATTEMPT TO LEAVE THE CHATROOM WITHOUT GOING ANYWHERE

Trav's completion of "TheCenter", of which Poasters said "You go on ahead; we'll be right there..."  Right.

BEST SHORTEST ELECTION ACCEPTANCE SPEECH OF 2004

Ace, after his re-election as Jester, to the runnerup Travis:  I win you stink.

LONGEST STAY IN A LEADING ROLE IN A HIT SERIES BY AN ILLEGAL ALIEN

There are so many in this category...  Let's just say when Poaster's adds sound you'll hear Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" when the forum loads. Hope they all get nice Christmas cards

Ace; hmmm.

"aaahh-aahh-aaahhh!!! aahh ahh aaaahhh!!!" Oh! theres the Immigrant Song!

Well....then.....hhmm.....no poasters over at the site? no Ace?!?!? NO ACE?! i was expecting a jester!

geez louise!

I stink? Uh hu! :) :P
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR