• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Cannot Send Large Files (approaching 20 MB) Via Yahoo Mail

Started by hoosier, March 28, 2008, 15:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

hoosier

I use Yahoo.Mail (free version). I am supposed to be able to send files up to 20 MBs in size. I often receive files myself approaching this size that I am able to successfully open.

However, when I try to send files near 20 MB in size I receive a "undeliverable mail due to file being too large" sort of message. This occurs even when the recipient is also a Yahoo Mail user.

Any ideas on why this should be?

Bill

No, I don't but it might be a limitation of the ISP, not Yahoo. There is a way around:  yousendit.com allows you to upload large files and the person you are sending to can then download it.   It's free and works.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

hoosier

Yousendit.com costs $9.95 per month which is too dear for me.

Also, just like the free programs such as Pando and Dropload, I assume the recipients are required to register, etc. which many of my tech-challenged friends will not do for fear of viruses, etc.

Bill

OK, sorry. the last time I  used yousendit, it was free.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

hoosier

Hi Bill,

Correction !!  The yousendit.com web page cleverly conceals access to their free version by placing it way off the page to the right.

I registered, sent a large file and recipient accessed the file without having to register.

One big drawback to the free program is that only one file can be sent at a time. But it's great if you are sending only a single file ---- up to 100MG in size.

Thanks for your sage advice.   Ken

hoosier

Another limit to the free version (called "lite") is that you can send to only five recipients.

hoosier

A new web site, namely  filemail.com   is free and allows up to 2.0 GB files to be sent.

Chandler

You are better off using one of the afore-mentioned services (or others such as Rapidshare) because even though you might be able to send an email that is 20MB in size, many setups are limited to 10MB maximum.  Also I know that I would personally be very annoyed if somebody sent me an email with a huge attachment.

hoosier

I tell the recipient that I am sending them a very large file (video or audio) and that it will take a long time to download. They then can choose when to download. What is the problem with that?

When you mention other services are you saying they use something other than an e-mail to send the large files? I'm unfamiliar with that.

scuzzy

If your recipient knows that they are receiving a large file, and they're okay with that, then it doesn't matter.

However, I too get very annoyed at anyone who for any reason sends a very large file to my email. The reason is severely magnified for anyone with a slow connection, such as dial-up. When the recipient checks their email with a client such as Outlook, the program chokes while the massive file is downloaded. I recall having to wait upwards of 30 minutes to use my email because someone sent a massive file. This is infuriating. Outlook, as well as other email clients, will not allow you to do anything else until the large file is fully downloaded. My solution to this was to become extremely selective as to who gets my "good" email address.

Services such as yousendit.com resolve this problem, since the recipient can instead choose to click a link to get the file.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

hoosier

I am not still trying to send large files via Yahoo Mail. 

I have used yousendit.com and am now using filemail.com because of its ability to send up to 2.0 GB at one time.

I have assumed that filemail uses the same method to send large files as yousendit.

Are we on the same page now?

scuzzy

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor