• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Problems with PC after upgrades

Started by Allie-Baba, August 14, 2006, 22:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Allie-Baba

After some recent upgrades, new primary drive and AGP graphics card, I'm having a couple of problems with my PC.

In an effort to reduce the work required to do the drive upgrade I basically partitioned the new drive and performed a bit copy of the old drive onto the C partition of the new drive.  I also had some problems with the install of the graphics card - mostly caused by trying to configure a PCI and AGP graphics card simultaneously.

The problems are that:
  • the PC whenever it reboots is defaulting to an Adminstrator login on the Welcome to Windows screen - and it is requireing a password that I don't know, and don't think I ever set-up. This isn't the normal account login screen but the manula pop-up screen. I can manually type in my "account", no password and login that way. PITA.  This MAY be caused by an ASP.NET login that showed up, I believe, after some software was installed a couple of weeks ago. Related? Don't know.
  • on restart the PC is detecting HDD errors and is going though a quick disk check.  This is usually to a small partition, D (~8G) that I set up to store my paging files for a little extra speed
My OS is Windows XP Pro, Versioin 2002 SP2.  AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.91 GHz, 512 RAM (could use more ;))

Any ideas anyone?

THNX
BRAD
"I had  something to say here, but then I forgot"

Carskick

Well, in relation to your first question, can you delete the Administrator account, assuming your account has administrative rights. I know my recent Win XP pro only has one account, which is mine, then of course guest, which is off. You should also be able to delete the password or change it from your account. This is all done in Control Panel>User Accounts.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick