• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Missing Shortcut"

Started by Gecko66, April 17, 2004, 12:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Gecko66

I'll explain this "Missing Shortcut" thing in complete detail. Okay, I turn on the computer, and it loads to the screen slowly. And then, right after the screen loads, I get this message saying something like, "Windows is searching for morze11. To locate the file yourself click browse". Then, there's the usual option of browse or cancel, and I click cancel, and another "Missing Shortcut" pop-up comes up, displaying a different file. Then, another one pops-up, then another [About 50]. I have found one solution to this, and that is to "Close Program" but I want to clear all this down, so I don't need to see that message any more. Can someone please explain this to me, or help me get rid of this.

Thanks

Mark H

Have you run spybot or adaware to remove spyware? The two programs are free from our downloads page - just make sure they are updated prior to running them.

Also, check msconfig to see what is starting up when you start your PC. You go to start, run and then type "msconfig."

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Gecko66

Yes, I have ran spybot and adaware. Nothing happened. Well, I did delete some of my spyware, but it didn't solve the "Missing Shortcut" problem. For some reason, when I try start msconfig from run, nothing happens, and it's slowing down my computer. Any other ideas?

Mark H

What operating system are you running?

Have deleted anything lately?

Are you running antivirus software and is it updated?

Mark H

Gecko66

Yeah, i've delete spyware.

I'm running Spybot, CWShredder, and Ad-Aware.

If you could define operating system, then I could answer you. Sorry.

Thanks

Mark H

Operating system: Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 95, etc...

Mark H

Gecko66

Oh, I just checked with HijackThis, as I checked Global Startup, I saw the same files that I encountered when my screen was loading. Are these the ones I should delete?

Mark H

Can you copy and paste the file names here so we can better answer? It is likely that they should be deleted, but we don't want to tell you to blindly delete stuff.

Mark H

Gecko66

Well, it would take a bit of time to write these down, since you can't copy and paste a HijackThis screen. Here are some:

MORZE
TAN8TU5X
VAPCK3RN
LFDKO8KO
RTHOAO2K
ZME81RNB

They're similar to these exact file names.

Hope these are a help to you.

Mark H

I would say they could be deleted, but just be careful to not delete something you need. You might want to transfer the files to a floppy disk and see if that solves your problem. If it does then you will know to get rid of them permanently.

Mark H

Gecko66

I'll try that.

Thanks for the patience. ;-)

sentofuno

if you're running win2000 you won't have msconfig but you can find it and download it with a quick google search. it comes with all the other windows versions, and the winXP version is the one i use (with my own win2000 machine) and i find it invaluable.

with it you can set which programs load at startup. a lot of programs presume you want them all the time so will load automatically like MSN or AIM. if you don't want it to start every time deselect it in the startup list.

but remember not to remove anything unless you're sure you know what it is.