• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Invalid System Disk Replace Disk And Then Press Any Key"

Started by Nacho, December 26, 2003, 20:18 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

I have windows XP on my computer. Windows 98 is less powerful so I was going to install it on my other partition to play my games (im a bit short on RAM). I went to install it but it detected my windows XP installation which was NTFS formatted and then told me it cannot read from NTFS. I then decided to give up for the day, and restarted to windows XP only to get the error "Invalid System Disk    Replace Disk And Then Press Any Key". No floppies or CD ROMS in drives. I take this to mean something got messed up and XP isnt telling the computer that it is a bootable OS. I know there is a commad line you can type to fix this because i used it before when i uninstalled LINUX and then it didn't recognize windows. PLEASE HELPP!!!!

query

Boot from the XP CD, go into the recovery console, and type fixboot at the prompt.

Nacho

uhh now it says "NTLDR Is missing press any key to restart"
and it says that over and over

query

Try the reboot again, this time with the command fixmbr

Nacho

Nacho

well i typed it in the recovery console and it wrote a new master boot record, but it still says NTLDR is missing....

query

If you have made an emergency floppy, boot to the recovery console and copy the ntldr file to the c:\ drive.

If not, try the automated repair - skipping all but the boot files (ntldr, ntdetect.com, etc.).

Nacho

um a little more help plz
i tried automated system recovery but it asked me for a Automated system recovery floppy wich i dont have.
I do not know how to "copy" the file NTDLR to C:/

Nacho

w/e i just got frustrated so i think im gonna format the entire drive and install windows 98SE, cuz XP seems to suck way too much CPU and memory out of my machine, il hold off on XP till i upgrade to an intel P4 2.6 with 512MB. Thanks anyways.....
(I like to screw up my comp frequently so don't worry about it, ive formatted about 15 times before lol)

Mark H

Just curious as to what processor and how much memory you have in your current machine?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Hoot

Yeah, and are you overclocked in any way (FSB or mem?)