• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Unknown Program"

Started by Don G, November 04, 2003, 15:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Don G

Recently did a ctrl-alt-del and saw something I have no idea what it is....but everytime I try to "End Task" on it...it freezes me up...
KDX.....that's how it's listed.....anyone know about that one???
Don G

Mark H

Is your antivirus software up to date and have you ran a spyware scan with something like Spybot?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

All I can find is a program by haxial, does this sound familiar?
http://www.haxial.com/products/kdx/keyword/

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Don G

Mark.....gonna update virus scan today...and did run Ad-Bot...also an old version, will update that today also...all it picked up were some Gator hits which I can't seem to get rid of either.....lol   I've deleted all references to Gator that I could find but I think it's lodged into the registry someway....and not sure I'm competant enough on this thing to tackle that.  Might give it a go though if I felt I had enough info on how to do it.......thanks

Don

Don G

Don G

Pat.....I have been using Google quite a bit lately and hitting some lyrics sites.  Just did a search on Google for KDX....lot of hits but nothing looks familiar.

I guess what I don't understand is why it locks me up everytime I try to do an end task on it from ctrl-alt-del..

Thanks for the input though,

Don

Don G

Chandler

KDX looks like a chat client of some sort.  I've never heard of it though, and I think it's in beta.

See if it's in your startup group by going to Start -> Run -> msconfig (type) -> Startup (tab)

Don G

Chandler...yep, it's there and it's checked

What's next my friend, do I just uncheck it?

Thanks for the help,

Don
Don G

Chandler

Yes, and then see if your computer still boots OK.

If everything still works, and there's no uninstaller for the program (check in Add/Remove Programs, Start menu, and Program Files folder) then I'd just delete it.

pat

Well haxial claims that none of their programs contain spyware. If that?s the case, how did it get on your system?
http://www.haxial.com/faq/spyware/
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Don G

Chandler,

ok......unchecked it....rebooted and everything seems to be running fine....and it's no longer in the ctrl-alt-del window.   Also was nothing listed in the Add/Remove that looked like it, so I did a "MY Computer" search and found "kdx" listed in several places.  One was an application file "pumpkins" in C:\My Documents\My Deliveies\ kdx...649KB, if that makes a difference.  I have no idea where that sub-folder came from and don't remember ever executing an application file named "pumpkins".

The other hits I got were:
C:\WINDOWS\kdx.......setup info
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Kontiki\kdx...application extension

I guess the next question is, do I delete all references to kdx or if not, which ones?

Thanks for the help in this....looks like I might be getting rid of this thing....:)

Don
Don G

Don G

Also......I also ran your "House Call" virus scan and found no problems.

Would add that the only reason I found this thing was I was getting rid of the programs running in background (except Explore and Systray), in order to do a scan/defrag.  

Thanks again for the help on this

Don
Don G

kirby

Hi, Im a new user too this network and i feel that i can give some usful advice too your problem.
    I have had this KDX on my computer and i think that it was due too kazaa, if you have this on your system then i would strongly advise you to delete it completley off your system and then rebot it and if you still need that program then download it again from www.kazaa.com web site.
  This 'unknown' file that you have found might just be a system file, therefor if you dont ctrl, alt+delete then end-task this program then it would not affect the system in any way.

Don G

Hi Kirby,

I use to use Kazaa but haven't in a couple of years....don't remember but don't think I've ever had it on this computer.  Anyway, this is something that just popped up.  I you read above, when I tried to ctrl-alt-del "end task" it locked me up.....I could ctrl-alt-del "end task" any of the other programs in there but that one locked me up.  It's gone now from the Start-up and doesn't appear in the "Close Program" window.  Now it's just a matter of which, all or any of the files and folders listed above to delete.  I don't think I use that program for anything.

Thanks for the input.......

Don
Don G

kirby

ermm... what you might want too do is do a search for all the possible files on your computer named (KDX) you can do this by:
Start>Find>Files or Folders.
If you havent allready done this, when the search has finished then try and find the file that exitst in 'program files' if there is one in here then click on it and look too see what it is, if you dont need it any more then i wuld delete it off your system.
It could be your sound card that brings this propertey up, have you had any problem wirth your sound since taking the startup icon off the start-up menu?
If you have then i would look too see if you can update the driver and add the start-up program back into the correct file.
   Thanx,
             kirby

Don G

Kirby......I did a search for "kdx" and what I found is listed above...counting this one would be six posts up I think......

I use my sound card a lot and have no problems with it, so doubt that kdx was or is anything to do with sound card.

Don

Don G

Chandler

Kontiki KDX is a peer2peer video delivery application I believe.  Do you by any chance have Palm Desktop installed?

Chandler

This link may be of use to you:

Kontiki Support

There's a section on uninstalling.  Take a look at "Secure Delivery".

Don G

Chandler,

Nope....not that I'm aware of and I'm the only user on this pc.   I do have WinMix installed on here though and that's a p-to-p application.

Don
Don G

icemft76

Don,

Sounds like some files I had after using proprietary download clients that are getting more popular lately. Gamespot, IGN.com (I think) and a movie site I got trailers from all began using a Kontiki variant to transfer files. Sound familiar at all? I never had any problems with the programs, but they were availible in the Add/Delete menu...huh.