• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"All Rambus must be used in pairs."

Started by poast78, December 18, 2002, 03:23 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

poast78

Hi there.  Changed my setup again: Going with the ASUS P4T533-C and a P4 2.4 GHz CPU with RDRAM.  Looking on Newegg, I notice that all Rambus RAM says the following: "All Rambus must be used in pairs."

Here is an example (the first stick on the page):
Rambus example

Does this mean that I have to buy two of those modules?
If I want a total of 256 MB do I need to get two 128 MB sticks?
I'm confused about the "pairs" thing.

Thanks.
Don't eat that.

dcsun

Yes, Rambus memory uses a different design that links the two modules together, so they need to be used in pairs.  Rambus ram isn't spectacular, and as you can see from that page, increadibly overpriced, so I'd strongly suggest you go with a board that doesn't use it.

poast78

Hi DC, thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking about a different board, but everyone that owns it on the audio forums that I participate in declares it as the most stable they've used.  I'll think about this a bit longer...  :-\
Don't eat that.

dcsun

As you probably know, I also prefer and recommend the AMD processors over the Intel ones.  If you're looking for a really stable system, memory and drivers will be your big concerns.  Make sure the memory is from a reliable name (like Crucial), and that all your hardware comes from companies that update their drivers often.  You should also go with XP if your hardware supports it, which they all should if they are new components.

poast78

I took your advice regarding Rambus and went with the Asus P4PE and my original choice of Corsair XMS DDR RAM.
I'm thinking about getting the LAN addition, but I'm not completely sure that I'd need it.

That whole idea of needing two sticks of RDRAM is not a very good one, IMHO, and might just be the reason why it's not catching on.

Thanks again, DC.  :)
Don't eat that.

dcsun

Looks like a good choice.  I personally would leave out the integrated network card, since they are so easy to add later and that board has plenty of slots.

poast78

QuoteI personally would leave out the integrated network card...

I agree.  ;)
Don't eat that.

query

Tis true that the P4 requires paired RAMBUS modules, but some P3 systems require only single units.

Yes, RDRAM is expensive due largely to Rambus' royalty scheme - but the upside is that it is extremely consistent in quality - there is little variation from brand to brand or module to module (partly because of the exacting standards, and partly because most RDRAM is made by a single manufacturer - Samsung).

FDDIMan

I may not remember correctly but isn't there a dumby stick, not sure what the real name was, that you can put in there to make is seem as though two sticks are in there?

query

Yes, it's called a continuity RIMM (C-RIMM) - and it's needed not only for single-RIMM Pentium III operation, but for all RAMBUS implementations (i.e., all the slots have to be filled, whether with RIMMs or C-RIMMs).

FDDIMan

That clears it up..it's all coming back to me
Thanks

poast78

Ooh La La...
I didn't realize anyone had poasted more replies!  Sorry for not responding.  :(

Okeedokee Smokey, I'm thinking of picking up the Zalman CNPS6500B-AlCu Flower Cooler for this machine.  It only cools a little better than the stock P4 heat sink/fan, but since I'm not overclocking that should be fine.  I'm getting it because it's apparently half as loud (!) and it's received great reviews.  However, I've read that it can't be used if the PSU is sitting directly over the CPU because of the lack of room (that HS/fan is huge).
I've e-mailed ASUS, Zalman, and Chieftec about it, but haven't received an answer.  Does anyone here know if I will have a problem with the P4PE on the Chieftec Server tower DX-01BLD SPX-2?

I know, I know...  I've been asking about this system for months.  Sorry.  ;D
Don't eat that.