• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

msinfo.exe - win.ini file message

Started by Ace, November 19, 2003, 18:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Have a friend with a HP - Win98 boot up message problem.  Didn't know if this had ever been addressed here; I scoped out links on Google to it, but wanted to see if anyone local had a fix for it.  What he gets is:

Info that comes up on our computer when logging
 1.Could not load or run 'msinfo.exe' specified in the WIN.INI file. Make
sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the WIN.INI file.
   2. Cannot find the file 'msinfo.exe' (of one its componets.) Make sure
the path and the
       filename are correct and that all require libraries are available.

From what I read it sounded like a spyware or virus (trojan?) problem.  I've got Norton 2002 I can give him, which I figure he can update, as a virus check improvement.   Some sites suggested getting into the registry to remove the debris; is that needed?

Thanks for any tips on this one -

Ace; I still have a clean machine, thank goodness.
Ring bells for service.

Neon

It looks like you are on the right track. You probably saw this, but I'll list it anyway just in case you didn't:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/
Apparently this is the work of spyware called CWS, and there is a file that is supposed to cure it, called CWShredder. Make certain that all browser and folder windows are closed before using CWShredder.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Ace

Thanks, dude!  Well, I mean Neon.  You know who you are.  I've relayed it to the doofus I mean my Bro In Law.  I was finding a lot of (disjointed) mentions and various talk of it but nothing that definitive.  Appreciate it -

Ace
Ring bells for service.