• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, February 02, 2001, 17:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

The only real diffrence is that the Diamondtron is a Mitsubishi tube and the Trinitron, a Sony.  One isn't necessarily better than the other - the only reason I mentioned the Diamondtron from Gateway is that the EV910, which is a cheap, LG (GoldStar) 19" monitor - isn't anywhere near as good as the DiamondTron.  The $100 upgrade is well worth the price.

Sony's patent on aperture-grille tubes (the original Trinitron) expired a few years ago, so Mitsubishi and others joined in making similar designs.  I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 950NF monitor with a DiamondTron tube in it at the moment - it's an excellent monitor for a reasonable price (about $425 now).  Dell multiple-sources its 19" Trinitron monitors - some are Sony-built, and others are Samsung-built.  There is very little difference between the different makers.

The aperture-grille monitors have a downside - the one (15" and under) or two (17" and up) damper wires the support the grille do cast a faint shadow across the screen.  That makes them unsuitable for medical imaging, etc. - but for most uses, the superior color saturation and brightness makes up for them.  That said, there are a number of excellent flat-screen shadow mask (the other major technology used in CRTs) out there - among them, the Samsung 955DF.

At about $325, it's a great monitor at a modest price.

Joanie

query, Thank You for that informnation. We are all learning so much from you.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

John

Hi Joanie, If I understand right someone is in the market for a new monitor. As for me the Samsung Syncmaster NF and DS series are great and come with the Mitsubishi tube Flat aperture technology. Also the price is right and the Monitors are rated tops in the industry. Need more information let me know.  John

Cogito Ergo Sum

query

The NF series does use a Mitsubishi DiamondTron tube, but the less expensive DF series uses a shadow-mask tube.  It is also completely flat, but I believe it's a Samsung tube - not Mitsubishi.  Either series are great monitors at reasonable prices, and they're quite reliable as well, something I would not say of Sony (despite its reputation, my experience has been that it could stand to improve in that area).

Joanie

Why do you think the DiamondTron Monitor is better than the Trinitron? I have always wondered what the difference was and how come the D is more expensive than the T.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>