• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Ace, August 22, 2001, 18:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Ace is a moronic maroon. And dyslexic. Criminy, I can't write.

M6TLA. geez louise. I'm gonna get it tattoed or tatooed or whatever on my nose.

Ace; read every other line and it's enough.

Ring bells for service.

query

You will need a slotket adapter, since all Celerons over 433 MHz are socketed, not Slot-1 format.

Whether it's worth upgrading depends on what you plan to run as an OS.  If you're entertaining thoughts of WindowsXP, Microsoft's recommended minimum is a PII-300 with 128 MB RAM (absolute minimum is a PII-233/64 MBytes).  My experience with the OS says a more practical minimum is a PIII-600 with at least 256 MB RAM, and preferably more - particularly if you run Office XP.

If you have plans for that OS, a new system might be a better idea.

A Celeron 500 will run Windows98 just fine, and do OK but not spectacularly with Windows 2000.  WindowsME is worth skipping - it offers little that 98 doesn't.

n/a

Upgrade fever, huh? I've been fighting it off myself. I'm in basically the same shape with my PII 333, so I've been checking out eBay to see other options, namely new machines.

I was pretty surprised to find Athlon T-Bird 1 gig+ systems, sans monitor and OS, going for $400-$500 bucks, sometimes less. The price isn't much more with DVD and\or CD-RWs. Last night I almost bid on a 1 gig system with a decent 266FSBECS motherboard, plus 128 meg of DDRAM, plus a 32-mb Radeon DDR video card with TV out, plus a 400 watt case--but no hard drive. It sold this morning for $325.

Most of these systems are made by 'small local' companies who offer 6 month to a year warranties, install upgrades and add-ons before shipping if you wish at a reasonable price, and even provide tech support, according to some of their buyer comments. They buy parts at a volume discount, hire a couple of kids to assemble, burn in the systems for a few hours with Windows 98 then remove the OS and ship it, for not a whole lot more than I could buy the unassembled parts myself.

I'm giving it some thought.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.gif" border=0>

BlueIce

That is a pretty impressive rig for 325 bear I would like to get my hands on another T- Bird for the wife and sell off this PIII 733.

Keep in mind that ebay is alot like playing slot machines

I have got some great deals off ebay I got a Dell Trinitron monitor 17 inch

for 69 bucks shipped a geat monitor too

But more recently i have been waiting 2 weeks for some hard drives that i might be getting burned on.

And a friend of mine bid on 3 complete systems and won them at great prices

so far he has only got 2 of them and its been a long time since he got an email

All of my bids i win and his were from high rated sellers but i think ebay is still a gamble

One i still take mind you :-)

http://www.poasters.com/images/ice.gif" border=0>

Ace

Update City:

Did the 256 RAM upgrade today (for $45 with shipping) so we'll see what that provides. Was thinking the same things as Bear, as far as what can you get these days for X $.  Figuring I'll go with a hard drive double too, then see how things set.  Thanks for the slotsky advice; was figuring that from other advice I'd gotten. Glad you guys mentioned it since motherboard specs acted like you could just drop in a 500 celeron as is.

Thanks too for the 98 vs ME analysis; thought that 98 was just fine from things I'd read, and that ME was of dubious worth so glad you mentioned that.

Ace: his memory is improved, so we'll see if his poasts do.

Ring bells for service.

Ace

Well, that's a loaded question, ain't it.

Ok: the topic is: Ace Upgrades.

Ok, knock it off; Seriously.

As a review: gotta 233 PII in a Biostar MTL6A (440LX) motherbored and just today received my 256 SDRAM upgrade (from my 64 EDO) Crucial chips about 6 hours after they said they filled the order. Huh. I guess that is fast.

Otherwise; My 4.3 '97 state of the art hard drive is about maxed so am thinking about adding in a 2nd slave hard drive. Stuff I've read: beware Win95 (what I got, last rendition) not recognizing new massive drives. Plus; jumper settings and configs as far as who's on first and which is the slave, etc. So probably seeking a small by today's standards (10 or less) gig add in.

Other news: found out the Biostar, unlike normal 440LX, actually says it'll take a Celeron 500.  I know the L2 ain't up to the PII, but it ain't too shabby at 128 plus the speed edge might make up for that...?  But; expert advice so far says it would take an adaptor to fit Slot 1 config.  

So; in my nutshell:  I'm gonna goose the RAM and figuring how and when to upgrade the OS and whether/not to go with the Chip part too.  So; any words of warning or ideas on any of the above plus thoughts on where the heck I oughta shop for hard drives and Celerons would be most welcome. I'm finding some sources, but naturally appreciate the expertise in the room.  Unless I mistakenly poasted in the Funny room... Then, I gotta figure it won't be that funny but might still be worthwhile.  Unless I start getting a lot of "Hey Joanie" or "Hey Carol" answers, then I figure I'm way outta my element. Or in a closet in one of these.

And feel free to just say "Ace, you moron.." or "Ace, you maroon.." or whatever. If I'm nuts (Mickey said Minnie wasn't, if you remember) then that'll be beneficial too.  thanks.  nuts.

Ace: he's a sitting duck.

Ring bells for service.