• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"Fair Access?"

Started by Whizbang, April 09, 2004, 07:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

For those of you who have had problems with slow download speeds after a period of time on satellite DSL, you should know that Direcway, Earthlink, and anyone who contracts the Hughes satellite system/network as access for their ISP sales will be subject to the so-called Fair Access policy that restricts download totals per day.  I ran into this problem while downloading Knoppix from a Linux site.  For more information, see this link:

Fair Access

Wade777

Oh WOW :o
I don't know what I could do if I couldn't download huge files :(
I feel sorry for you guys who have to deal with that.
Need a custom computer?
Check out my website:
http://www.microhardcomputers.com

Whizbang

A "fix" would be to find a download manager that can be set to restrict speed of very large files to about 60kbps, which is still about 20 times faster than dialup downloads out here in the sticks.  That way, the FAP (fair access policy) would never take affect.  Hughes allows 169MB of downloads at maximum before throttling down.  For the vast majority of cases, this is more than enough, unless you like to download CD programs, such as Knoppix.  It seems that FAP refills your download limit at approximately dialup maximum rate of 57kbps.  By restricting the download to that speed your FAP limit would be replenished without penalty.

I paid for subscription to DirecPC site so I could download the tweaks and monitors for DirecWay.

pat

Whizbang,
Take a look at LeechGet 2004, this is one fine download manager. It does allow you to allocate bandwidth on a per download basis or altogether for a set number of downloads.

Oh and it's free for private non-commercial use.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Thanks.  I found that I can set NetAnts for 60kbps too, but I just downloaded LeechGet 2004 to try it when I need it.  However, I am not planning on any more 699MB downloads in the near future.