• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

*sniff* ill miss ya, ya little harddrive ;)

Started by trav, March 25, 2004, 18:42 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

trav

Harddrive: Maxtor 2.01 (unknown serial nuber)

I all started two days ago.....

Booted up
"Primary Slave: Maxtor ((((G&8..."
:o
Went into BIOS
Auto Detect Harddrives
reboot
POST Post's fine :)

Has posted fine for a day....BUT!! TODAY :O :O :O

Booted Up
"Primary Slave: (a bunch of garbled stuff)"
Went into BIOS
Autodetect Harddrives
Reboot
"Primary Slave: Eagaptor (serial)" :o !
continue into Windows XP Pro, SP1, boots fine
My Computer
"F"
"F is not accessible"

Now I have a dead 2.01 GB HD :'( *sniff* ill miss ya, ya 'lil' two gig HD!! :'( " ;D

Thats my story :)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Mark H

Where are you going to bury the little guy?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

query

Recycle - spring is here, and the platters make resonant wind chimes.

Igloo

bury it in the back garden, and put a lil cross above it!
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Wade777

Hit it and wiggle around the connections a little bit before you throw it away.
Need a custom computer?
Check out my website:
http://www.microhardcomputers.com

Neon

I must say that query's suggestion is the best. Just think, you could record the windchimes, make it into a .mp3, and store it on your new drive. Then you will have a reminder of the old disk right on your new disk. Then when your new disk finally croaks, you can repeat the procedure.

Tech Report covered a hard drive dissection today, but I was disappointed in the lack of details.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

44mayg

Take that hummer apart and remove the magnets. They are quite strong and fun to play with :-)

Mark H

Quote from: 44mayg on March 26, 2004, 16:44 hrs
Take that hummer apart and remove the magnets. They are quite strong and fun to play with :-)

Plus you can learn alot! ;D

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

Quote from: Neon on March 26, 2004, 15:42 hrs
I must say that query's suggestion is the best. Just think, you could record the windchimes, make it into a .mp3, and store it on your new drive. Then you will have a reminder of the old disk right on your new disk. Then when your new disk finally croaks, you can repeat the procedure.
I suppose that is the hard drive equivalent to cremation and storing the ashes in a jar on the mantle.  I'd go for a trot line weight for catfish.  ::)  

Nestor

Don't tell anyone in your neighborhood that it died. When someone comes over, ask them if they'd like the drive for their system. When they give their assent, toss it to them. or fumble it in front of them.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

trav

CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Andrew S

If your an athletic type of person and dont mind the mess, try playing baseball with it, and if you can find all the pieces, glue them to somethign and make a work of art to hang on your wall

Nestor

I asked my instructor for a hard drive and he had a dead hard drive that had already been opened and then closed up again- I didn't know it at the time. He came up to me, reached out with the HDD in his hand, then bobbled it. I was quick, I caught it before it hit the ground, but he stood there staring at me with this look on his face, and everyone was kind of snickering. (I'm the new guy)

Man, my heart was POUNDING!

Of course, now that I look back on it, it was great fun- I can't wait untill I can pull a similar joke on someone else.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Andrew S

Travis, I know how it feels to lose a close friend like a hard drive, lol.  I recently lost an entire computer.  My cousins computer was serious garbage and wouldnt work, so instead of me trying to fix it for him, i just built one out of my extra parts collection and gave him a full computer.  A fairly decent one too for a freebie

it had  
AMD Athlon 1 GiG
256 and 128 stick of RAM
20 gb WD hard drive ( i think)
8 Mb video card (small for games, but good enough for a freebie)
soundblaster card  
52x cd rom drive
win 98
(win 98 was legal.  it was originally loaded on that pc that was reconstructed and only loaded on that one pc)
not bad for a freebie

So, i didnt think it was too bad of a system for giving it away for free

trav

Yeah, andrew, thats a good PC you built there :)